I absolutely loved eating this. Carrots, onions, peppers, broccoli: all things I love, all baked to perfection and the dressing was the culmination of it all. This was supposed to feed 4 to 6 people, my cousin and I had it for lunch and there was just a little bit of it left over, maybe barely enough for one more person to eat. I had those leftovers the next day for lunch, on bread smeared with horseradish cream cheese, and some more dressing on top. A great leftovers lunch as well, so good that I actually decided to bake veggies like this regularly just to eat on bread instead of cheese or something else.
If you eat this as a side dish, than you will probably have enough for 6 people. Otherwise 3 or 4 would be more realistic. You just need some good bread and nothing else. I had some homemade whole wheat focaccia and it was great. The feta cheese sprinkled on top is optional, if you leave it out this dish will be vegan.
You can definitely variate the vegetables according to taste and season. I could also imagine butternut squash or hokkaido pumpkin, asparagus, cauliflower, mushrooms, zucchini, aubergines, green beans etc.
- Ingredients for the vegetables:
- 1 kg/ 35 oz vegetables (I had peppers, broccoli, carrots, onions)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 springs rosemary
- 2 springs thyme
- salt and pepper
- Ingredients for the dressing:
- 30 g almonds
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 small spring onion
- 1 small fresh red chilli
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 65 ml/ ¼ cup rooibos tea
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1 handful arugula
- Italian bread, optional
- some feta cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius/ 370 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Clean the vegetables and cut them into small pieces. Place them on a baking tray laid with baking paper, drizzle the olive oil all over, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well using your hands. Cut the garlic bulb horizontally and place the halves on top of the vegetables. Add the rosemary and thyme. Bake the vegetables for about 30 minutes or until soft.
- In the meantime place the almonds in a hot pan and roast until fragrant. Remove from the pan, chop coarsely and place into a small bowl. Add the sunflower seeds to the pan, roast until fragrant and add to the almonds.
- Brew the rooibos tea according to the package instructions and measure out ¼ a cup (you can drink the rest). Leave to cool down a bit than add to the nuts. Grate the garlic clove and chop the spring onion and the chili into small rings. Add both to the dressing together with the olive oil and lemon juice. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Chop the arugula coarsely.
- When the vegetables are cooked place them on a nice serving dish. Arrange the garlic halves and the arugula on top and spoon some almond dressing all over.
- Serve with more dressing, cubed feta cheese and bread.