These carrots would make a perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. But not only that, together with this wonderful, creamy tahini-yogurt dip they can make a delicious and satisfying vegetarian meal on their own.
I chose this recipe especially for the wonderfully colored carrots I bought at the market in Kassel a few weeks ago. We visited some friends there and I used this opportunity to go to the farmer’s market as well. One of the things I miss most here where I live now is the lack of any farmer’s market. I was spoiled with a huge huge market and several smaller ones while growing up in Romania and while living in London and I hate it not being able to go to the market here. So every time we visit a larger city in Germany I research beforehand to be sure to find a farmer’s market.
This a Yotam Ottolenghi recipe from his book Plenty More. I am sure I have mentioned it several times before how great I think Ottolenghi’s books are. I have cooked so many of his recipes already and have never been disappointed.
So do make these carrots, either to eat them as a side dish or just as they are, you will love them. I love the liberal use of spices in almost any of Yotam Ottolenghi’s recipes. I would not be confident enough to use a whole tablespoon of whole coriander seeds in any recipe, but there is no hesitation whatsoever to do that if Yotam asks me to do so. And these coriander seeds are just amazing, I love to bite on them and taste their full aroma. I completely forgot to toast them and the cumin seeds, I don’t know if that would have made the dish any better, I found it perfect the way it was.
- 60 g/ scant 3 tablespoons clear honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 12 large carrots of different colors
- salt and pepper
- For the dip:
- 40 g/ scant 3 tablespoons tahini paste
- 150 g/ ⅔ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove
- cilantro or parsley to serve
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees Celsius/ 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toast the cumin and coriander seeds in a pan without fat, while stirring often. Take care not to burn them. Remove them immediately and crush them lightly. I forgot this step, but didn't really miss it.
- Peel and cut the carrots into 2x6 cm/ ¾-2 ½ inch batons.
- Mix the honey, olive oil, coriander and cumin seeds and thyme in a large bowl and add the carrots. Mix until coated all over, spread on a large baking tray lined with baking paper and roast for 40 minutes, stirring once or twice in between. The carrots should be glazed and cooked through.
- For the yogurt sauce mix the tahini with the yogurt, lemon juice and grated garlic clove.
- Serve the carrots warm or at room temperature with some tahini sauce and some chopped cilantro or parsley on top.