A very quick dessert for the weekend. Strawberries, meringues, cream cheese, yogurt: heaven in a cup! It was more of a way of using up the rest strawberries and stuff that I had in my fridge, but the result is definitely worth making. Everybody loved this and after eating it, I quickly wrote down the recipe, so that I don’t forget to make this again.
I used already made meringues, I still had ½ a package in my pantry, but you can make your own if you wish. I am sure that will only make things better. Careful with the sugar, the meringues are already very sweet, so don’t add to much sugar in the cream cheese mixture. The dessert needs to spend some time in the fridge before being eaten and the meringues will kind of disintegrate during this time, so that in the end, everything will be sweeter than you thought it will be at first.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 cups, depending on the size of the cups. I had two larger ones and two small ones for the children. The amount in the smaller cups would have been enough for the adults as well, especially as we ate this after a nice Sunday lunch.
- 400 g/ 14 oz cream cheese (I used 16% fat)
- 200 g/ 7 oz yogurt (I used creamy low fat)
- 200 g/ 7 oz heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- some vanilla extract (to taste)
- 250 g/ 8.8 oz strawberries
- about 16 meringues (depending on size, mine were small)
- mint to decorate
- Beat the heavy cream until stiff. Mix together the cream cheese, yogurt, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in the heavy cream.
- Chop the strawberries.
- Place some cream cheese mixture at the bottom of 4 cups. Add some meringues, crushing them with your hands on top of the cream. Add some chopped strawberries. Repeat these layers one more time, finishing with strawberries.
- Decorate with some small mint leaves, if you have any.
- Place the cups in the fridge and let stand for a few hours before serving. The meringues will mostly disintegrate making the dessert creamy and sweet.