The easiest homemade pizza there is: flatbread pizza with various toppings. Either Margherita, pepperoni or fancy burrata, this recipe is ready in less than half an hour.
FLATBREAD PIZZA RECIPE
This flatbread pizza is the perfect recipe for days when you just know you don’t have the time or the energy to cook much.
Or for a movie dinner, like my children wish to have from time to time. An evening spent together watching a family film we haven’t seen before and mostly eating homemade pizza.
And if I want to be really quick with the homemade pizza, I choose this kind of flatbread pizza instead of making pizza dough from scratch.
It works! The kids love this kind of pizza just as much as they love the real thing.
The flatbread pizza can be made within 30 minutes, it only takes moments to top with whatever you like and it really doesn’t need to spend a long time in the oven, about 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and everything is heated through.
And there are actually no limits when it comes to the flatbread pizza toppings. See below for some ideas, but keep in mind that you can actually put whatever you like on your flatbread pizza.
WHAT KIND OF FLATBREAD FOR PIZZA?
There are several options when it comes to the flatbread you can use for this kind of pizza.
- I use the thick Turkish flatbread when making flatbread pizza most of the time.
- The main reason for that is that Turkish bread (and any other Turkish ingredients) are very easy to get anywhere in Germany. There is probably no other country in the world, except Turkey, where you can get more Turkish products than in Germany. And that is great!
- When using thick Turkish flatbread, you should always split it in half, otherwise, the pizza will be too bready.
- One thick Turkish flatbread is enough for 2 adults and 1-2 children.
- I often use thin Lebanese or Syrian flatbread (also very easily available here).
- No need to split thin flatbread.
- Lebanese flatbread is thin but very large around here, so one should also be enough for 2 adults and 1-2 children.
- If the bread is smaller, use as much as you consider necessary.
- Naan bread is a great option as well, it is not that easy to find good naan bread, but I do buy it when I find it. Or, even better, I make my own naan bread.
- Naan bread is small, so I would choose at least one per person (maybe even 2 pieces for an adult).
Other kinds of bread:
- If you don’t have any of these bread in the house, but you are still in the mood for a super quick pizza dinner, use some slices of (stale) toasted sourdough bread.
- I can’t recall how many times I’ve done that, it is not exactly pizza, but it tastes great.
- About 2 large slices sourdough bread per person should be enough. And 1 slice for the children.
HOW TO MAKE FLATBREAD PIZZA?
You will have a hard time finding an easier recipe! Basically, split the bread (if necessary), smear it with a flavorful pasta or pizza sauce (bought or homemade) and top it with whatever you like.
Here are a few topping ideas:
Margherita flatbread pizza:
- Flatbread + pasta or pizza sauce + dried oregano + mozzarella slices. Bake and top with fresh basil leaves.
Burrata and prosciutto flatbread pizza:
- This is the luxury version of a flatbread pizza. My favorite kind, I absolutely adore burrata, I could eat it every day if it wasn’t so difficult to find (and so pricey…).
- Flatbread + pasta or pizza sauce + dried oregano + burrata slices. Bake and top with thin slices of prosciutto crudo and rocket leaves. So good!!!
Salami/ pepperoni flatbread pizza:
- Kids’ favorite.
- Flatbread + pasta or pizza sauce + dried oregano + grated cheese + thin salami/ pepperoni slices.
Hawaiian pizza (I don’t know how Hawaiian this is, but any savory recipe containing pineapple in Germany is called Hawaiian):
- Flatbread + pasta or pizza sauce + chopped cooked ham + grated cheese + canned pineapple slices or cubes.
- Flatbread + pasta, pizza or barbecue sauce + cooked chicken pieces + thinly sliced onion + grated cheese.
- Flatbread + pasta or pizza sauce + dried oregano + cooked veggies of choice (any leftovers, even potatoes) + sliced olives + grated cheese (or blue cheese, mozzarella, etc).
Flatbread pizza is best served immediately, but leftovers can be reheated in the oven.
OTHER QUICK MEALS
TORTELLINI ALLA PANNA – Italian tortellini alla panna e prosciutto: tortellini in cream and ham sauce with Parmesan and basil.
LEEK AND PEA FRITTATA – Easy and aromatic frittata with lots of vegetables, ready in no time.
VEGAN PEANUT SOUP WITH COCONUT MILK – So easy and quick to make.
PEANUT BUTTER CHICKEN – Creamy peanut butter chicken served over rice, this incredibly aromatic chicken dish is ready in less than 30 minutes.
BASIC SKILLET CHICKEN BREASTS – An easy recipe for roasting juicy, tender and healthy chicken breasts: one skillet or pan, one lemon, and the chicken.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
- 2 thick Turkish flatbreads (See note)
- about 2-3 tablespoons pasta or pizza sauce for each pizza
- 1-2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 mozzarella
- fresh basil leaves
- 1 burrata
- 4 slices prosciutto crudo
- handful rocket leaves
- 6-8 salami or pepperoni slices, as needed
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Split the Turkish bread in half, lengthwise. No need to split thin Lebanese bread or naan bread.
- Smear with pasta or pizza sauce and sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Margherita: top with sliced mozzarella. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is heated through. Top with fresh basil leaves.
- Burrata: top with torn burrata. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is heated through. Top with prosciutto crudo slices and rocket leaves.
- Salami/pepperoni: top with grated cheese and thin salami or pepperoni slices. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted and the bread is heated through.
- Slice the flatbread pizza and serve immediately.
You can use thin Lebanese flatbread or naan bread as well, quantities according to the size of the bread and appetite.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1/6 of the dish
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 179 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 26mg Sodium: 913mg Carbohydrates: 19g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 11g