Flavorful glass noodle salad made with leftover chicken, lots of vegetables and an Asian inspired salad dressing, a quick and always satisfying light meal.
Leftover Chicken Salad
This chicken glass noodle salad is great for dealing with some leftover chicken or turkey and whatever vegetables you happen to have in the fridge or freezer.
It is quick, healthy and delicious and most of the time doesn’t require extra shopping. I usually make it when I have some leftover cooked chicken in the fridge, there is always a pack or two of glass noodles in my pantry and certainly at least one or two kinds of vegetables in my fridge/freezer.
I don’t really bother measuring the quantities, I take one packet of glass noodles for the four of us, add as much chicken as I happen to have and as many vegetables as I feel like using.
The inspiration is a recipe from Nigella Lawson’s book Nigella Christmas (Amazon affiliate link). She uses leftover Thanksgiving/Christmas turkey for it and quite other vegetables.
- I normally make it with chicken leftover from making soup or from making one too many baked thighs on a Sunday.
- You can also use leftover turkey to make the glass noodle salad.
- Breast or thigh meat are both fine, take whatever you happen to have.
- The vegetables change with mood and availability.
- Nigella’s original recipe uses sugar snaps and beansprouts. As these two vegetables are not something I usually have in the fridge, I use other veggies most of the time.
- For instance, the more common peas and carrots, some finely shredded cabbage or some sauteed mushrooms.
- The result is always great, it really doesn’t matter what kind of vegetables you use, just take what you like and what you have in the house.
- I usually add parsley but, as this is an Asian inspired dish, coriander would actually be a better idea.
- It is just that fresh coriander is way too exotic for this region, I rarely find it in the next stores.
More pasta or noodle salads?
German Noodle Salad – With peas, gherkins and a creamy dressing, this is one of the most popular potluck German pasta salads in our region.
Napa Cabbage Salad with Ramen Noodles – This is my favorite noodle cabbage salad: instant ramen noodles, napa cabbage and lots of roasted almonds and sunflower seeds.
Feta Pasta Salad – A hearty feta pasta salad with green peppers and tomatoes, pasta salad Greek style.
Tortellini Salad Recipe – A typical German salad with tortellini, peas and mushrooms, often served at German grill parties in summer.
Deviled Egg Pasta Salad – Simple and creamy deviled egg macaroni or pasta recipe with bacon, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise and gherkins, a wonderful way of using some of those leftover hard-boiled eggs from Easter.
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- 1 fresh red chili, very finely chopped or ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fine sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- about 250-375 g/ 8.8-13 oz/ 2 -3 cups cooked and shredded chicken (See note)
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz glass noodles
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 very large carrot, grated into long stripes
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
- fine sea salt
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients in a large bowl. Add the shredded chicken or turkey and leave to marinate while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Place the glass noodles in a large bowl and add a kettle full of boiling water. Let soak for 5 minutes or according to the packet's instructions. Drain, refresh with cold water and drain again very thoroughly.
- Cook the peas separately for a few minutes, drain and refresh as well. Add to the chicken along with the noodles and the other prepared vegetables. Add the sesame oil and the herbs and mix well. Adjust the taste with some salt if you find it necessary.
Either chicken breast or thighs from making soup, roast chicken, rotisserie chicken.
Leftover turkey can be used instead.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the salad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 453Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 1891mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 46g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.