Glass Noodle Salad
This recipe is a great way to deal with some leftover chicken or turkey and whatever vegetable you happen to have in the fridge or freezer. It is quick, healthy and delicious and for me it doesn’t require extra shopping. I usually make this when I have some cooked chicken laying around, there are always a pack or two of glass noodles in my pantry and certainly at least one or two kinds of vegetables in my fridge/freezer. I don’t really bother measuring the quantities, I take one packet of glass noodles for the four of us and add as much chicken as I have and as many vegetables as I feel like.
The inspiration is a recipe from Nigella Lawson’s book “Nigella Christmas”. She uses leftover Thanksgiving/Christmas turkey for it and quite other vegetables. I normally make it with chicken leftover from making soup or from making one too many baked thighs on a Sunday. The vegetables change with the mood and availability, sometimes sugar snaps and beansprouts, like in Nigella’s original, sometimes peas and carrots, sometimes some finely shredded cabbage or some sauteed mushrooms.
I usually add parsley but coriander would actually be a better idea, just that fresh coriander is way too exotic for this region, I rarely find it in the store (maybe once a year), so I just have some in summer, if I remember planting it in the garden.
The result is always great, it really doesn’t matter what kind of vegetables you use, just take what you like and what you have in the house.
- Ingredients for the dressing:
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- 1 fresh red chili, very finely chopped or ½ teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fine sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Ingredients for the salad:
- about 2 -3 cups cooked and shredded chicken/turkey
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz glass noodles
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz frozen peas
- 1 very large carrot, grated into long stripes
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- fresh parsley or coriander, chopped
- Make the dressing by mixing all the ingredients in a large bowl. Add the shredded chicken and leave to marinate while preparing the rest of the salad.
- Place the glass noodles in a large bowl and add a kettle full of boiling water. Let soak for 5 minutes or according to the packet's instructions. Drain, refresh with cold water and drain again very thoroughly.
- Cook the peas separately for a few minutes, drain and refresh as well. Add to the chicken along with the noodles and the other prepared vegetables. Add the oil and the herbs and mix well. Adjust the taste with some salt if you find it necessary.