Last Updated on
Asparagus strawberry salad with chicken: a light spring salad making the most of the seasonal produce.
Asparagus strawberry salad with chicken
This asparagus strawberry salad combines some of the best things you can eat in spring. Everything served on a bed of mache, also known as corn salad or baby spinach.
- Asparagus, strawberries, chicken. I love all the ingredients used to make this salad and the combination of them all is really divine.
- Make sure that the strawberries are really good ones and not the watery, tasteless ones.
- Mache, also known as lamb’s lettuce or corn salad, this is one of my favorite salad sorts.
- If you cannot find mache, use baby spinach instead. Or rocket.
- You will also need boneless, skinless chicken breasts, four small ones.
- You will need low-fat Greek-style creamy yogurt.
- Some mayonnaise, low-fat is fine.
- Spices like sweet paprika powder and curry powder.
How to make asparagus strawberry salad?
Cook the asparagus:
- Remove the woody ends of the asparagus. Wash and cook the asparagus for about 5-6 in case of medium-sized or thick asparagus spears.
- If using the smaller, thinner asparagus 2-3 minutes might be enough. But check.
- When cleaning and cooking the asparagus, reserve the ends, those woody parts of them you would usually throw away.
- After cooking the asparagus, take the spears out of the water, then place the woody parts in the water and continue simmering for about 20-30 minutes, uncovered. You will get a wonderful asparagus stock, which you can keep for about 1 week in the fridge or longer in the freezer and use for making soup or asparagus risotto.
Grill the chicken:
- Grill the chicken in a grill pan or pan fry in a regular nonstick pan.
- Rub the chicken breast with the spices and cook until they are tender and the juices run clear, this should take about 8 to 12 minutes.
- Turn occasionally so that it browns evenly all over. Cut the chicken breasts into slices.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, yogurt, milk and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Adjust the taste with salt, pepper and curry powder.
Arrange the salad:
- Wash and dry the mache or corn salad. Arrange on four plates.
- Place the asparagus on one side and the sliced chicken breast on the other side.
- Clean, dry and slice the strawberries. Place on the plates as well.
- Top with some dressing and maybe cress, if using.
More asparagus recipes?
Pin it for later!
First published: April 27th, 2015
Last updated: April 16th, 2020
- 450 g/ 1 lb asparagus
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 400 g/ 14 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts (See note)
- 4 handful mache (lamb's lettuce)
- 12 strawberries
- sweet paprika powder
- curry powder
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ 3/4 cup low-fat Greek-style yogurt
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons milk
- some cress, optional
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- Bring a wide pot of water to a boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, the sugar, and the butter. Carefully place the asparagus in the water and cook for about 5-7 minutes for medium or thicker asparagus spears. If using, the shorter, thinner asparagus cook for only 2-3 minutes. Check before the time is up, you definitely don't want to overcook the asparagus.
- In the meantime heat a grill pan or a regular nonstick pan. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Rub the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, some paprika, and curry powder and cook until they are tender and the juices run clear, this should take about 8 to 12 minutes, depending on their size. Turn occasionally so that they brown evenly all over. Make sure that the chicken is cooked through, it should not be pink in the middle. Cut the chicken breasts into slices.
- Clean the mache and place a handful of it on each plate. Place the asparagus and chicken breast slices on top. Slice the strawberries and arrange on the plates as well. Sprinkle the cress on top.
- Mix together the yogurt, mayonnaise, milk and 2 tablespoons lemon juice. Adjust the taste with salt, pepper and curry powder.
- Serve the salad immediately adding as much dressing as you like.
Either 1 small chicken breast per person or 2 large ones to be divided.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the salad
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 97mgSodium: 784mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 39g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.