Inspired from various vegan mac and cheese recipes that I saw lately I made my version. I loved it and the best of it: my children actually ate cauliflower. I have to admit I only told them that there was cauliflower in the sauce after they had finished eating. And it gets even better, my son eats cauliflower now, doesn’t matter in which form it appears on the table.
- 115 g/ ¾ cups raw cashews
- 300 g/ about 2 ½ cups chopped cauliflower
- 200 g/ about 1 ¾ cups chopped potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- 110 g/ ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 500 g/ 1 pound elbow macaroni
- Soak the cashews in water for about 1 hour.
- Bring two pots of water to a boil. Add the chopped vegetables and the garlic cloves in the smaller pot and cook for about 10 minutes or until they are soft. Keep about ½ cup of the cooking water and drain the rest.
- Cook the macaroni in the other pot. Drain well.
- Blend the vegetables, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper until really smooth and creamy. Add some of the cooking water little by little to reach the right consistency. Adjust the taste again and serve immediately.