Vegan scrambled eggs or scrambled tofu served with roasted sweet potatoes and white bean hollandaise sauce.
Step-by-step instructions on how to make vegan scrambled eggs. And to make this vegan meal complete: roasted sweet potatoes and white bean hollandaise.
Before I tried this for the first time, the thought of a tofu scramble sounded kind of weird. I wasn’t sure what to expect, I thought it would be bland compared to eggs, but I am happy to say that I was wrong.
- A versatile recipe, something that can be eaten as breakfast, lunch, or even dinner and which can be adapted easily.
- This recipe pairs scrambled tofu with roasted sweet potatoes and white bean hollandaise, a delightful and satisfying meal.
- The roasted sweet potatoes provide texture and add a little sweetness to a savory dish, creating a surprising flavor combination.
- The white bean hollandaise makes the dish complete. It adds richness, creaminess, comfort. The sauce is far lower in fat and calories than a regular hollandaise sauce, and that is always a good thing!
- The turmeric adds the yellow coloring to make this look more like a scramble.
- Press the tofu.
- Place the block on paper towels, cover it with more paper towels, and press it well with your hands.
- Or place it between layers of paper towels. Place a plate or cutting board on top and weigh down with some large cans or books.
- Crumble the tofu with your hands before frying it. Don’t try breaking it up with a spatula after you put it in the pan, it will not get the nice scrambled texture.
- Most of the cooking process is simply water evaporating before the tofu starts to resemble eggs.
- The vegan scrambled eggs will go through three different phases while the water evaporates. It takes a while, be patient and don’t turn the heat too high or the tofu will burn rather than brown.
More vegan tofu recipes:
- Sweet Potatoes:
- 2-3 cubed sweet potatoes
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- Tofu Scramble:
- 1 block of tofu, about 400 g/ 14
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- White Bean Hollandaise:
- 1 can cannellini beans (425 g/ 15 oz)
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 125 ml/ 4.2 fl.oz/ ½ cup water
- fine sea and black pepper
- To serve:
- small bunch of chives and parsley or coriander
- 1 tomato
- 1 small red onion
- 4 tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut 2 or 3 large sweet potatoes into cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place into the oven. Roast for 30-45 minutes or until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Dry the tofu very well or press it between layers of kitchen paper. Crumble into a nonstick pan and add lemon juice, nutritional yeast, turmeric, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on medium-low heat and mix every few minutes. Don't turn the heat too high as it will burn rather than brown.
- During this time, place the drained beans, lemon, turmeric, nutritional yeast, water, salt, and pepper in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and add more water if you’re having trouble blending or to thin out the sauce.
- Serve the vegan scrambled eggs in a tortilla, sprinkled with the chopped herbs, and topped with thin tomato and onion slices.
- Drizzle with bean hollandaise and serve the sweet potatoes on the side.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 508Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1172mgCarbohydrates: 80gFiber: 16gSugar: 9gProtein: 30g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.