Toffee Apple Cake
Makethis sticky toffee apple cake covered with sweet and oozy toffee sauce andcrunchy almonds, a spicy, decadent dessert, the perfect cake for cold winterdays.
Apple cake (Note 1)
- 2 apples medium a total of about 200g / 7 oz
- 175 g unsalted butter soft, ¾ cup/ 6 oz
- 200 g granulated sugar 1 cup/ 7 oz
- 3 eggs
- 175 g self-raising flour 1 ½ cup/ 6 oz, Note 2
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon all-spice
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 75 g unsalted butter 1/3 cup/ 3 oz
- 100 g light muscovado sugar ½ cup/3.5 oz
- 3 ½ tablespoons heavy cream
- 50 g almonds chopped, 1/3 cup/ 1.8 oz (Note 3)
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 20 cm/8-inch springform, line its bottom with parchment paper.
Apples: Core and grate the apples. Set aside.
Batter: Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and all-spice. Sift them over the butter mixture. Fold in carefully.
Stir in the apples and milk.
Bake: Transfer the batter to the prepared springform. Bake for about 55-60 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Leave to cool in the tin, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the toffee sauce just before you want to top the cake.
Heat: Place butter and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat gently, stirring, until the butter is melted and the sugar is dissolved.
Simmer: Stir in the heavy cream and almonds. Simmer gently for about 2 minutes until slightly thickened. Don’t overcook it or it will harden. The sauce will thicken more as it cools.
Remove from the heat and leave for about 2 minutes.
Spread: Place the apple cake on a serving platter. Spread the sauce on top. Let set shortly before cutting.
- I strongly recommend using a digital kitchen scale; it will give you the most precise measure ensuring the best bake possible.
- Substitute self-raising flour + baking powder indicated in the recipe with 175 g/ 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour and a total of 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder.
- Flaked almonds are perfect as well.
Serving: 1piece | Calories: 559kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 138mg | Sodium: 90mg | Potassium: 183mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 1003IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 95mg | Iron: 1mg