Apple Crumble Cake - German Cake
A soft and moist German apple crumble cake with a crisp crumb topping, a perfect autumn cake recipe.
- 250 g/ 8.8 oz/ 2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 125 g/ 4.4 oz/ ½ cup + 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ scant 2/3 cup unsalted butter very cold
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Batter and topping:
- about 750 g/ 1.7 lbs tart apples about 5 medium
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ ¾ + 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter soft
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 sachets vanilla sugar or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 eggs medium Germany, large US
- 450 g/ 1 lb/ 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz/ 1 ¼ cup sour cream
The recipe can be easily halved and baked in a springform of about 26 cm/ 10 inches.
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray of about 30x40 cm/ 12x16 inch with baking paper.
Crumbles in the food processor:
Place the flour, sugar and cinnamon in the food processor.
Pulse shortly to mix.
Add the very cold butter, cut into cubes, and process shortly until you have crumbles.
Crumbles without food processor:
Mix the flour, cinnamon and sugar in a bowl, place the cold butter cubes on top and cut the butter into the flour until you obtain crumbles.
If doing this with your hands, only use your fingertips, if you use your palms the butter will get warm too quickly.
Place the crumble in the fridge until ready to use.
Place the soft butter in a bowl and beat until fluffy.
Add sugar, vanilla sugar or vanilla extract and cinnamon. Mix well.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between.
Mix the flour and baking powder in another bowl. Add them to the egg mixture in 3 or 4 batches.
Divide the batter in two equal parts.
Leave one batch as it is and mix the second batch with the sour cream. Set aside.
Assembling the cake:
Spread the batter without the sour cream on the prepared tray.
Spread the apple cubes evenly on top of the batter.
Spread the sour cream batter over the apples.
Top the cake with the crumbles.
Bake the cake for about 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
If the cake starts to get brown long before the baking time is over, cover it very loosely with a piece of aluminum foil.
The cake can be made one day in advance.
Serving: 1square | Calories: 390kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 127mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 21g