Delicate spinach roll filled with cheese and herbs, a nice, fresh appetizer for an easy brunch.
Servings 12 -14
- Spinach roll:
- 450 g/ 1 lbs packet frozen spinach See note 1
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ scant ½ cup smetana/ crème fraiche
- 3 large eggs
- zest of ½ organic lemon
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 80 g/ 2.8 oz/ 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 170 g/ 6 oz/ 1 ¾ cups grated cheese Gouda
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ scant 1 cup cottage cheese See note 2
- 60 g/ 2 oz/ ¼ cup unsalted butter soft
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper
Let the frozen spinach thaw in a fine mesh sieve. When the spinach is completely thawed, take handfuls of it and squeeze well to remove the excess water. Chop, if not already chopped. Place in a bowl.
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray of about 25x35 cm/ 10x13 inches with parchment paper.
Add the smetana or crème fraiche, the lightly beaten eggs, the grated zest of half organic lemon and 1 tablespoon lemon juice to the spinach in the bowl. Mix well with a fork.
Mix the flour and the baking soda together and add them to the mixture. Stir well.
Pour the mixture into the prepared tray and spread evenly. Bake for 15 minutes.
Immediately remove the baked batter from the tray together with the parchment paper. Roll tightly together with the parchment paper. Let cool completely.
In the meantime, if using regular cottage cheese, let the cottage cheese drain in a fine mesh sieve. Pat a bit dry with kitchen paper and mash it with a fork before adding it to the filling.
If using dry Turkish fresh cheese, it will be enough to mash it with a fork.
To make the filling mix together the grated cheese, cottage cheese, soft butter, herbs, salt and pepper to taste.
When the roll is completely cold, unroll it. Spread the filling evenly on top and roll again, this time without the parchment paper.
Refrigerate for a few hours until set and slice before serving.
- If using fresh spinach you will need about 700 g/ 1 ½ lbs fresh spinach which you will have to clean, remove the stems and let wilt in a pot. Chop it finely before adding it to the batter.
- I used Turkish fresh cheese, which is drier than regular cottage cheese. If using regular cottage cheese, let it drain well and pat a bit dry with kitchen paper before using it.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 171kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 382mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g