Gooseberry gin – easy to make and incredibly aromatic. Make the most of the short gooseberry season.
Servings 1 bottle (750 ml/25 fl.oz)
- 200 g/ 7 oz red gooseberries Note 1
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar Note 2
- 1 bottle of gin Note 3
Wash the gooseberries and dry them with a kitchen towel. Halve and place them in a large jar. Add the sugar and the gin. Stir gently.
Place in a dark cool place like a cupboard. Stir every day during the first week or until the sugar dissolves.
Let steep for at least 3-4 weeks, longer if desired. Strain through a fine cloth and pour it into a bottle.
- I am not giving you the amount in cups as gooseberries can vary very much in size, some are really small, some are huge.
- If using green gooseberry, you will need to add more sugar, as they are tarter.
- A basic sort of gin, nothing expensive.
Serving: 30ml | Calories: 50kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Sugar: 1g