Last Updated on
The best courgette soup or zucchini soup I have ever made. Easy to make, creamy and so aromatic, you will love it!
The Best Courgette Soup
It started as a really normal, everyday creamed soup… it ended being one of the best soups I have ever made.
I made lots of courgette soups in the past and they were all good, but this one is simply special.
I wanted something a bit out of the ordinary and found this recipe in a thin book featuring oven recipes, a book I have had for about 10 years, a book out of which I have never ever cooked a recipe.
Courgette or zucchini souffles:
- Serve the courgette soup as it is or make some courgette peel soufflés on bread to go with it.
- What captured my attention were the zucchini-soufflé-baguettes floating on top of the dish, made out of cheese (of course), egg white, and the courgette skin. I can tell you this right from the start: they are unbelievable!
- The vibrant green, the airiness of the mixture, the wonderful taste of cheese in combination with the earthiness of the peel…
- And everything on top of a hot, crunchy, buttery baguette slice.
- But good things do not stop here. Just as good as the soufflés was the soup.
- Its distinctiveness is due to the use of fennel seeds. I have fennel seeds in my spices collection but use them actually rather seldom.
- I had my doubts about using them this time as well, I was afraid they would be too domineering and that that would stop my children from eating the soup. But I was so wrong!
- The fennel seeds are really domineering but it is a wonderful domination, they make the dish sweet and aromatic and so much better than any other courgette soup I have ever had before. And the kids loved it!
- Well, the soup at least, they wouldn’t even taste the soufflés, they were way too green for them. But we weren’t very sad about that, my husband and I, this way we each had an extra soufflé slice to enjoy. 🙂
More courgette recipes?
- 500 g/ 1 lb courgettes (zucchini)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 liter/ 4 cups good meat or vegetable broth
- Souffles (optional):
- 4 thick slices baguette
- 1 fresh egg
- 30 g/ 1 oz/ 1/3 cup Parmesan, freshly grated
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- Peel the courgettes with a potato peeler. Set the peel aside and cube the courgettes. Chop the onion and the garlic cloves very finely.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a soup pot. Add the onion and cook gently until translucent. Add the garlic, stir shortly, then add the chopped courgettes. Cook for about 4-5 minutes, until the cubes turn golden.
- Sprinkle the fennel seeds on top and pour the stock into the pot. Cover, lower the heat and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius/ 430 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the soup cooks prepare the soufflé baguette slices.
- Chop the courgette peel and purée it the food processor. Add the grated Parmesan to the mixture and adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large frying pan. Roast the thick baguette slices in the butter until nicely golden on both sides. Set aside.
- Separate the egg yolk from the egg white. Set the egg yolk aside for later and beat the egg white with a pinch of salt until stiff. Gently fold the stiff egg white in the courgette-cheese mixture. Spread the mixture on top of the toasted baguette slices, place the slices on a baking tray and bake for about 10 minutes until the soufflés are nicely puffed.
Finish the soup:
- In the meanwhile finish the soup. Purée the soup. Whisk a ladle of the soup with the egg yolk until smooth.
- Pour the mixture in a slow stream to the soup while whisking all the time. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup into serving bowls and place one piece of the baguette on top. Serve immediately, you will not want your baguette to become soggy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 1773mgCarbohydrates: 57gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 16g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.