Crispy Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings
Baked salt and pepper chicken wings, a simple recipe for Chinese-style wings using 5 ingredients, ready in about 40 minutes.
Oven-safe wire rack
- 2 lbs chicken wings split, 900 g Note
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 1-2 green onions optional for garnish
- red chili flakes or 1 fresh red chili optional for garnish
Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place an oven-safe wire rack on top.
Prepare wings: If the wings are whole, cut them into wingettes and drumettes (Note). Dry them very well with paper towels and place them in a large bowl.
Season: Rub the wings with the oil. Mix salt, pepper, and Chinese spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the wings and stir well to coat.
Bake for about 40 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
Garnish with finely chopped green onions and fresh chilies or red chili flakes.
- Place one whole wing on a cutting board. Hold the tiny drumstick (drumette) and stretch the joint open. The flat part (wingette) should still be on the work surface.
- Cut through the joint. If there is any resistance, move the knife a few millimeters more on the right or left until you find the right place to go through the skin and between the bones quickly.
- Remove the wing tips as well if still attached.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Monounsaturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 94mg | Sodium: 1270mg | Potassium: 224mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 217IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 2mg