This French apple cake is one of the easiest cakes to make. And the extra bonus: a healthier, low fat cake without butter or oil.
LOW FAT APPLE CAKE
Do you feel like having some cake, but don’t have a lot of time? This French low fat apple cake is the answer!
Do you feel like having some cake, but feel guilty about eating cake again? Well, this low fat and healthier apple cake is the answer as well!
HEALTHY APPLE CAKE RECIPE
What makes this French apple cake special? First of all the fact that is made without fat, if you don’t count the fat contained by the three eggs you will need to make this low fat cake recipe. No butter, no oil, just eggs, apples, sugar, flour and spices.
Then this healthier apple cake is made in no time, you will probably be able to peel and cut the apples and stir the batter in about 10 minutes. 30 minutes baking time and voila: a beautiful and delicious low fat apple cake, which can be served shortly after being taken out of the oven.
LOW FAT APPLE CAKE RECIPE
I discovered the recipe for this low fat apple cake a long time ago, during a time when I was very interested in anything low fat.
It was a simple recipe written in just a few sentences in a magazine my husband’s grandmother used to read. A magazine full of bright pictures of some royalty or another and a few recipe pages somewhere in the middle.
When she was finished reading the magazine and making all the crosswords, Oma Lene used to tear out those recipe pages an give them to me. I have a large binder full of them. 🙂
The original recipe for this low fat apple cake contained only four ingredients: flour, sugar, apples and eggs. Over the years I’ve added some baking powder, cinnamon and vanilla. This way the French apple cake is a bit taller and tastes even better than it already did.
HOW TO MAKE THE LOW FAT APPLE CAKE RECIPE
This low fat cake recipe is so easy, even a child could make it. My kids do actually, my son usually peels and cuts the apple and my daughter makes the batter.
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut the apples into small cubes.
- Mix together the eggs and the sugar for about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Fold them into the egg mixture using a spatula.
- Fold in the apples and pour the batter into a buttered and floured springform of about 22-24 cm/ 9-10 inches.
- Mix 2 teaspoons sugar with ½ teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle the cake with this mixture.
- Bake the low fat apple cake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (depending on your oven) or until the cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
HOW TO SERVE THE FRENCH APPLE CAKE
This healthier apple cake is best served fresh from the oven. Leave it for about 10-15 minutes to cool down a little and serve. However, the completely cooled cake is delicious as well.
If you chose to make this low fat apple cake recipe because you are watching the calories, then serve it as it is. A low fat addition would be a dollop of Greek yogurt or another creamy yogurt.
Otherwise you can serve the French apple cake with whipped cream, unwhipped pourable heavy cream or vanilla ice cream.
I totally recommend the vanilla ice cream, a dollop of the cold ice cream on that warm apple cake is just heaven!
MORE APPLE CAKES?
PIN IT FOR LATER!
- Apple cake:
- 3 apples, about 250 g/ 8.8 oz
- 3 eggs (medium Germany, large US)
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 170 g/ 6 oz/ 1 1/3 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour a springform of about 22-24 cm/ 9-10 inches.
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut the apples into small cubes. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and the sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Carefully fold the flour into the egg mixture. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chopped apples as well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle this mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Bake the French apple cake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes, take out of the tin and serve either warm or cold. Serve as suggested above.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 200 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 70mg Sodium: 105mg Carbohydrates: 41g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 23g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 5g