This healthy apple cake is one of the easiest cakes to make. And the extra bonus: a low calorie, low-fat cake without butter or oil.
Low-Fat Apple Cake
Do you feel like having some cake, but don’t have a lot of time? This French style, healthier, low-fat apple cake is the answer!
Do you feel like having some cake, but feel guilty about eating cake again? Well, this low-calorie apple cake is the answer as well!
What makes this French apple cake special? First of all the fact, that is made without fat if you don’t count the fat contained by the three eggs you will need to make this recipe. No butter, no oil, just eggs, apples, sugar, flour, and spices.
Then, this low-calorie cake is made in no time, you will probably be able to peel and cut the apples and stir the batter in about 10 minutes. 30 minutes baking time and voila: a beautiful and delicious low-fat apple cake, which can be served shortly after being taken out of the oven.
I discovered this recipe a long time ago, during a time when I was very interested in anything low-fat. It was a simple recipe written in just a few sentences in a magazine my husband’s grandmother used to read. The magazine was full of bright pictures of some royalty or another and a few recipe pages somewhere in the middle.
The original recipe used only four ingredients: flour, sugar, apples, and eggs. Over the years I’ve added some baking powder, cinnamon, and vanilla. This way the French apple cake is a bit taller and tastes even better than it already did.
Steps to make
This recipe is so easy, even a child could make it. My kids do actually, my son usually peels and cuts the apple and my daughter makes the batter.
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut the apples into small cubes.
- Mix together the eggs and the sugar for about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Fold them into the egg mixture using a spatula.
- Fold in the apples and pour the batter into a buttered and floured springform of about 22-24 cm/ 9-10 inches.
- Mix 2 teaspoons sugar with ½ teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle the batter with this mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes (depending on your oven) or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- This healthy apple cake is best served fresh from the oven. Leave it for about 10-15 minutes to cool down a little and serve. However, the completely cooled cake is delicious as well.
- If you chose to make this recipe because you are watching the calories, then serve it as it is. A low-fat addition would be a dollop of Greek yogurt or another creamy yogurt.
- Otherwise, you can serve the French apple cake with whipped cream, unwhipped pourable heavy cream or vanilla ice cream.
- I totally recommend the vanilla ice cream, a dollop of the cold ice cream on that warm apple cake is just heaven!
More apple cakes?
Pin it for later!
Healthy Apple Cake – Low Fat Cake Recipe
- Apple cake:
- 3 apples a total amount of about 250 g/ 8.8 oz
- 3 eggs medium Germany, large US
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 170 g/ 6 oz/ 1 1/3 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour a springform of about 22-24 cm/ 9-10 inches.
- Peel the apples, remove the cores and cut the apples into small cubes. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and the sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Carefully fold the flour into the egg mixture. Do not over mix.
- Fold in the chopped apples as well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon for the topping and sprinkle this mixture over the batter in the pan.
- Bake the low-fat apple cake for 30-35 minutes or until golden. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes, take out of the tin, and serve either warm or cold. Serve as suggested above.