Mirror glaze chocolate cake made with zucchini, the sweetest way of enjoying your zucchini this summer. Learn how to make an easy dark chocolate mirror glaze.
Have you ever made a mirror glaze chocolate cake? It is really not as difficult as you might think!
And a nice zucchini cake is a “must” for me every summer, so why not combine the two: zucchini chocolate cake with mirror glaze on top.
How to make the cake?
- The cake is made in a small springform of 20 cm/ 8 inches.
- Finely grate the dark chocolate and the zucchini.
- Mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar for about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between.
- Add the flour mixture, the milk and the rum by turns, in 2 or 3 batches.
- Fold in the chocolate and zucchini.
- Bake for about 1 hour. Check if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the middle.
- Leave the cake to get cold, then chill it, it has to be well chilled before you pour the mirror glaze on top.
- Use a kitchen scale to measure the ingredients, it is important.
- It is preferable to use a digital thermometer when making the chocolate mirror glaze. It works without it as well, but it works better if you use it.
- The chocolate mixture should first reach a temperature of 60 degrees Celsius/ 140 degrees Fahrenheit. Now is the time to add the gelatine to the mixture.
- Then again, the perfect temperature to pour the glaze is 29 degrees Celsius/ 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To pour the glaze, start by placing a small casserole form that is slightly smaller than the cake in a large roasting tin.
- Place the chilled cake on top of the small form and start pouring the glaze over it.
- Remove excess glaze from under the cake with a knife.
- Refrigerate the cake until serving or decorating.
Otherwise, I hope the summer is treating you well, we finally have a really nice summer day today. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend!
More chocolate cakes:
Zucchini Chocolate Brownies with Cashews
Moist Chocolate Cake with Hazelnuts and Breadcrumbs
Chocolate Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Mirror Glaze Chocolate Cake
- 100 g good quality dark chocolate 70% cocoa, 3.5 oz
- 200 g zucchini 7 oz
- 250 g all-purpose flour 8.8 oz/ 2 cups + 1 tablespoon
- 30 g unsweetened cocoa powder 1 oz/ ¼ cup
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 180 g unsalted butter 6.4 oz/ ¾ cup, room temperature
- 180 g muscovado sugar 6.5 oz/ 1 cup
- 2 eggs
- 100 ml milk 3.4 fl.oz/ scant ½ cup
- 5 tablespoons rum
- Mirror glaze:
- 4 gelatine sheets 10 g/ 0.35 oz
- 125 ml cold water 4.2 fl.oz/ ½ cup
- 225 g granulated sugar 8 oz/ 1 cup + 2 tablespoons
- 150 g couverture chocolate 5.3 oz
- 30 g unsweetened cocoa powder 1 oz/ ½ cup
- 65 ml heavy cream 35% fat,2.3 fl.oz/ ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon
- Preheat the convection oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter the bottom of a 20 cm/8-inch springform and line it with baking paper.
- Finely grate the dark chocolate and the zucchini.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt and set aside.
- Combine: Cream the butter and the muscovado sugar for about 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between. Add the flour mixture, the milk, and the rum by turns, in 2 or 3 batches. Finally, fold in the chocolate and zucchini.
- Bake: Pour the mixture into the prepared springform and bake for about 1 hour. Check if the cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the middle. Leave the cake to get cold, then chill it. It has to be well chilled before glazing.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for about 10 minutes or according to the packet's instructions.
- Dissolve gelatine: Pour the water into a small saucepan. Let it come to a boil and add the sugar. Stir well, remove from heat and add the chopped couverture chocolate. Mix with a hand whisk, add the sifted cocoa powder, mix well and add the heavy cream. Mix again, and when the temperature reaches 60 degrees Celsius/ 140 degrees Fahrenheit, stir in the squeezed gelatin leaves and mix until dissolved.
- Sieve this mixture into a jug and blend with a hand blender. Sieve again into another jug and let cool until the mixture reaches 29 degrees Celsius/ 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Glaze: Place a small casserole form that is slightly smaller than the cake in a large roasting tin. Place the chilled cake on top of the small form and start pouring the glaze over it. Remove excess glaze from under the cake with a knife. Refrigerate the cake until serving or decorating.
Angie@Angie's Recipes says
I love the perfectly moist and dense texture of this zucchini cake...not sure I would add the glaze if I made one, but it surely makes the cake richer and more beautiful.
Oh wow i would love a big slice of that delicious cake
What a spectacular cake! And the glaze gives it a beautiful finish.
Thalia @ butter and brioche says
i like making chocolate and zucchini cakes too - usually in loaf form though. thanks for the idea of adding a mirror glaze too! definitely something i need to try Xx
It looks amazing!! I never had zucchini cake before, because my husband is not a fan of the idea.
chocolate zucchini cakes are pretty special anyway, but you've gone above and beyond with that mirror glaze! yum!
Another courgette recipe! And so tempting.... I love the moisture the courgettes seem to create.
Cakes to Jalandhar says
This cake looks epic!!
Birthday Gifts Ambala says
always amaze me with each recipe