These might become your favorite brownies: soft, squishy brownies with a cheese cake filling.
Another recipe that will add a few centimeters to your waistline just by reading the ingredient list. But not to worry, this is the last cheese cake for the time being and I promise to try to post at least a couple of skinnier recipes during the next series. 🙂
But in the meantime, I just have to tell you that these brownies are so good, your brain will just take a break from reality and not care about the calories anymore, you will just want to continue putting yet another piece of brownie in your mouth, tasting that chocolatey-cheesy deliciousness and feeling that incredible moist, sticky, squishy texture.
The recipe might take a few minutes more to put together than a regular brownie recipe would take, but it is all worth it. Otherwise it is pretty straightforward: melt some chocolate, make two mixtures instead of one and put everything in the tin – it couldn’t be easier – just brownies, it can hardly get any easier. And the result is heavenly, I can barely imagine anyone not liking them. I slightly under baked the cake and liked that very much. It was just firm around the edges and quite gooey in the middle, so good!
I got this recipe from an old issue of Good Food, a copied down recipe from the time I used to live in London. We had this coffee room at the work place where I would spend some of my breaks and there was somebody there who kept bringing older issues of the magazine, leaving them there for other people to look through. I loved it! I scribbled out one recipe or another every chance I got and this is one of those recipes, scribbled down over 8 years ago and only baked recently. What a waste of time! I should have done that earlier!!!
I hope you enjoyed this series, I know that my family and I totally enjoyed eating all these cheese cakes.
- 400 g/ 14 oz cream cheese (something like Philadelphia)
- 125 g/ 4.4 oz + 225 g/ 8 oz granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 + 3 eggs
- 200 g/ 7 oz plain chocolate
- 200 g/ 7 oz unsalted butter
- 125 g/ 4.4 oz all-purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and line a 20x30 cm/ 8x12 inch tin with parchment paper.
- To make the cheese cake mixture beat together the cream cheese, 125 g/4.4 oz sugar and the vanilla extract until well mixed. Add 2 eggs, one at a time, and beat until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- To make the brownie mix start by chopping the chocolate finely. Place it in a small metal bowl, place the bowl over a pan with water. Make sure the water doesn't touch the bowl with the chocolate. Heat the water, but don't let it come to a boil. Melt the chocolate while stirring very frequently. Set aside.
- In another bowl whisk together the remaining 225 g/ 8 oz sugar with the remaining 3 eggs until creamy. Slowly add the melted chocolate and whisk well. Sieve the flour and fold it in carefully. Pour about ¾ of this mixture in the prepared pan and level.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture over the brownie mixture carefully. Add the remaining brownie mix in dollops all over the place, level and marble the cake with help of a skewer.
- Bake for about 35 to 40 minutes until just set in the middle.
Others you might like: