Baked mango chicken legs with green onions and potatoes. The chicken is covered in an amazing sticky, sweet, and spicy mango chutney glaze. Only 4 ingredients, one tray, and dinner is served.
Baked chicken legs are something that you will find very often on our meal plan. If I ask my kids what they want to eat, it is very likely that they will say “chicken legs”.
So I have to be creative when making them because if I was only to eat them cooked in one way, I would get bored very easily. I don't think the kids would mind that so much, as long as there are chicken legs and some potatoes on their plate, they don't really care about the rest. But I do!
I wanted to find a way to include green onions in this recipe, I liked the roasted green onions so much, and I wanted to see how they will be when cooked together with other ingredients.
I have to say that I was extremely pleased with the result. Tender, sweet thighs and drumsticks surrounded by rather crispy potatoes and topped with those wonderfully aromatic roasted green onions.
What do you need:
Only four ingredients, not counting salt and pepper.:
Chicken legs: a mixture of thighs and drumsticks. You can only use one or another, it doesn't matter.
Potatoes: I had new potatoes, but regular potatoes will be perfect as well.
Green onions: or spring onions whatever you like to call them.
- This baked mango chicken is the perfect recipe for using leftover mango chutney you just happen to have in the fridge.
- I used homemade chutney for this recipe because mango chutney is not really easily available around here and when it is, it is not very good, so I stopped buying it.
- You can absolutely use your favorite brand, or experiment with other chutneys as well.
- My chutney was rather chunky, so I blended it for just one moment, it still has bits in it, but not as coarse as before.
Alternative: You can use any other kind of chutney you like, actually. Why not try tomato chutney or onion chutney, for instance. Or peach chutney, I make a homemade version from time to time and I never miss the opportunity of using it for making this baked chicken recipe.
How to make?
- This baked mango chicken dish cannot be easier to make.
- Clean and place everything on one tray.
- That's it.
More baked chicken recipes:
Baked Mango Chicken
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4-5 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1.7 lb small new potatoes or regular potatoes
- 2 bunches green onions
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare the chicken: Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper on both sides and place on a large baking tray, skin side up. Smear the mango chutney on the chicken legs.
- Prepare potatoes: Thoroughly clean and dry the potatoes but leave the skin on. According to their size, you can either leave them whole or halve and quarter the larger ones. They should all have pretty much the same size. Spread them on the baking tray around the chicken legs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes.
- Prepare green onions: In the meantime, clean, top and tail the green onions and cut them into 5 cm/2-inch pieces. After the 20 minutes baking time, spread them on top of the potatoes in the baking tray.
- Continue baking for another 15 minutes, or until the chicken juices run clear, the potatoes are fully cooked, and the onions are tender and slightly brown.