Last Updated on
Easy to make lemon drizzle traybake: soft, comforting and so delicious you will not be able to stop eating it.
Lemon Drizzle Pound Cake
A lemon drizzle cake baked on a tray. Pound cake with lemon glaze and sprinkled with colorful sprinkles. A delight for the kids, but not only.
Lots of butter, sugar, and eggs… this has to be good. It is! Really good! And so simple and quick to make, a great cake to make for the children and with the children.
Mine were delighted to help mix the ingredients together, to crack the eggs (well, that wasn’t a clean job, but who cares… it was OK in the end), to sieve the flour and especially to spread the sprinkles onto the cake.
Why make this lemon drizzle cake?
- Wonderfully moist and tender, this lemon drizzle traybake is really worth making, I cannot imagine anyone not liking it.
- As mentioned above this cake makes baking with children easy and enjoyable. And if you are not necessarily making this for children, just leave out the sprinkles, they are not really needed, but the kids just love them.
- The needed ingredients are simple and cheap, the work involved minimal.
- No particular baking skills needed, just weigh and mix the ingredients.
- Using a kitchen scale is recommendable (Amazon affiliate link).
- Make sure the butter is soft before starting to mix the batter. Remove it from the refrigerator for several hours in advance.
- Using a stand mixer is easier, but a hand-held mixer will do just as fine.
- Make sure that you mix the batter very well, also mix it well after adding each egg.
- Don’t overbake the lemon drizzle traybake, 20 minutes baking time should be sufficient, the cake should still be pale on the outside and remain moist on the inside.
- When making the drizzle add the lemon juice gradually. Add more little by little and stop when the glaze is spreadable, but not too runny.
- The rainbow sprinkles are totally optional, I cannot leave them out because of the kids, but do leave them out, if you wish (Amazon affiliate link).
- Alternatively, you can decorate the traybake drizzle cake with a little lemon zest and small mint or balm leaves.
- You can replace the lemon juice and zest with lime juice and zest. Or try this Lime Drizzle Cake.
How to store?
- Another good thing about this cake is that you can make it well in advance, it will keep for days and days.
- Keep the squares airtight or well wrapped in aluminum foil, but don’t stack them on top of each other or they will start sticking. You can cut some pieces of parchment paper to place between the layers of lemon cake.
More lemon cakes
Layered Lemon Cake – Romanian Snow White Cake
Lemon Curd Raspberry Cake – Just incredible!
Lemon Slice – Australian sweet and tangy treat.
Limoncello Bundt Cake – Easy to make, soft, and boozy.
Baked Blueberry Cheesecake – With lemon curd and so creamy!
Lemon Curd Cheesecake – No-bake cheesecake with blueberries.
Pin it for later!
- Lemon cake:
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz/ 1 ¼ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz/ 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs (medium Europe, large US)
- 1 organic lemon
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz/ 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Lemon drizzle:
- 250 g/ 8.8 oz/ 2 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1 lemon, as much juice as required
- rainbow sprinkles to decorate, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray (30 x 40 cm/ 12 x 15 inch) with baking paper.
- Place the soft butter in the bowl of the stand mixer and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and continue beating for several minutes.
- Add the eggs one at the time mixing very well before adding the next egg. Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl a few times in between.
- Add the zest of the lemon and 2 tablespoons lemon juice.
- Mix together the flour and the baking powder and sieve over the butter-egg mixture. Incorporate carefully.
- Pour the batter onto the prepared tray and bake for about 20 minutes. The cake should remain pale and still lightly moist inside.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough lemon juice to obtain a spreadable paste.
- Spread this over the hot cake working quickly and distribute the sprinkles evenly on top. Let cool before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1 square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 36mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.