An amazingly decadent strawberry brownie cake with a luscious filling made with sweetened condensed milk and cream.
Strawberry Torte (with Brownie Base)
Everybody loves brownies, at least I don’t know anybody who doesn’t! But this strawberry brownie cake is more than just a regular brownie, it is a brownie brought to the highest possible level!
A moist and rich strawberry torte with a brownie cake base and filled with that amazing sweet and decadent condensed milk filling!!!
You will just love this cake!!!
What do you need?
- Use good quality, unsweetened cocoa powder, you will notice it if the cocoa is not the best kind.
- You will need neutral-tasting vegetable oil, not olive oil, or any other flavorful oil.
- Use heavy/double cream and not sweetened whipped cream, cool whip or similar products. Pure heavy cream, which you will whip yourself, tastes best.
- I live in Germany, so I used 1 package Dr. Oetker Galletta Instant Cremepulver for 500 ml milk.
- In the US, you can use 1 package instant vanilla pudding (4 oz).
- Buy good quality, ripe and sweet strawberries.
How to make a brownie cake from scratch?
Most of the brownie cake recipes I see online are made with brownie mix. I really don’t understand it, as it takes probably only 5 minutes more to mix the ingredients you need for a brownie cake. So, there is really no need for mixtures full of chemicals and weird stuff.
Here is all you have to do:
- Prepare the pan – you will need to do that when you are baking a bought brownie mix as well.
- Mix together the oil, vanilla extract, sugar, and eggs and whisk until well combined – it takes 2 minutes to weigh and place the ingredients into a bowl and less than another one to mix them well.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt and add slowly to the wet mixture – it takes 2 minutes to weigh the ingredients (probably less if using a kitchen scale) and less than a minute to combine.
- Pour into the prepared form. That’s it!
So, about a total of 5 minutes! I really think that’s worth it!
Bake the brownie:
- The cake needs about 25 to 30 minutes in the oven, but it really depends on your oven.
- Check by inserting a toothpick in the middle of the brownie. The toothpick should still have some crumbs hanging on it.
- Don’t overbake.
- Let cool completely before slicing and filling.
- If making the brownie cake one day in advance, let it cool completely, wrap it in cling film/plastic wrap to prevent it from drying, and keep at room temperature until ready to be filled.
How to make the filling?
Making the filling for the strawberry torte is super easy as well.
- Pour the condensed milk in a bowl and add the water. Mix well.
- If using instant vanilla pudding powder (the one recommended above) beat it in for 1 minute. Chill while you whip the heavy cream.
- If using a package of instant vanilla pudding beat it into the condensed milk mixture and chill for 5 minutes.
- Whip the heavy cream and fold it carefully into the condensed milk – pudding mixture. Chill for about 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
Assemble the strawberry torte:
- Wash and dry the strawberries. Only hull them after you wash them or they might become watery. Slice them thickly.
- Slice the brownie base horizontally, using a long, jagged knife, to obtain two slices.
- Place one slice on a cake platter. Spread half of the filling and some of the sliced strawberries on top. Place the second brownie slice on top, press gently, and top with the rest of the filling. Arrange the remaining strawberries on top.
- Drizzle with some chocolate glaze, if using any.
- The chocolate glaze is optional but good.
Sweet Potato Brownies – these are some of my favorite brownies, incredibly moist and delicious!
Cherry Chocolate Brownies – decadent double chocolate brownies topped with fresh cherries.
Romanian Brownies – Negrese recipe – a different sort of brownies topped with meringue.
Cheese Cake Brownies – rich and decadent yet easy to make cheesecake brownies with cream cheese.
Vegan Cocoa Brownies – moist, dark brownies with coconut cream topping.
Strawberry Brownie Cake
- Brownie base:
- 180 ml 6 fl.oz/ ¾ cup neutral-tasting vegetable oil for instance, canola, 6 fl.oz/ ¾ cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250 g granulated sugar 8.8 oz/ 1 ¼ cup
- 3 eggs
- 90 g all-purpose flour 3 oz/ ¾ cup
- 60 g cocoa powder unsweetened, 2 oz/ ½ cup
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz/ 400 g
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding (Note 2)
- 120 ml cold water 4 fl.oz/ ½ cup
- 230 ml heavy cream 7.7 oz/ 1 cup
- 450 g strawberries 1 lb
- some chocolate glaze for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 24 cm/9-inch round springform and line the base and the sides with baking paper.
- Wet ingredients: Mix the oil, vanilla extract, sugar, and eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Dry ingredients: Mix the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt and add slowly to the wet mixture. Combine well and pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Bake: Level the batter, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with only a few crumbs. Leave the brownie base cool completely.
- Filling: Mix the sweetened condensed milk and the cold water in a large bowl.
- Vanilla pudding: If using instant vanilla pudding powder (the one recommended in the notes), beat it for 1 minute. Chill while you whip the heavy cream.If using a package of instant vanilla pudding, beat it into the condensed milk mixture and chill for 5 minutes.
- Whip the heavy cream until stiff and fold into the pudding mixture. Chill the mixture for about 10 minutes to allow it to thicken a bit.
- Strawberries: Wash and dry the strawberries very thoroughly. Slice them thickly.
- Assemble: Cut the brownie base horizontally with a long, jagged knife to obtain two slices. Place one piece on a cake platter. Spread half of the filling and some of the sliced strawberries on top. Place the second brownie slice on top, press gently, and top with the rest of the filling. Arrange the remaining strawberries on top. Drizzle with some chocolate glaze, if using any.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Always use a digital kitchen scale in baking; it ensures the best results (Amazon affiliate link).
- I live in Germany, so I used 1 package of Dr. Oetker Galletta Instant Cremepulver for 500 ml milk. In the US, you can use 1 package of instant vanilla pudding (4 oz).