Last Updated on 25/05/2020 by Adina
Bacon-wrapped chicken with herbs, lime, and garlic, baked over a potato bed, a one-pot dish for any day of the week.
Bacon and Herbs Chicken Breast
This bacon-wrapped chicken with herbs is just wonderful! Tender meat, hearty bacon an aromatic herb filling with lime. A perfect dish not only for a regular weeknight but also impressive-looking enough to serve to guests.
And really no-fuss at all, an easy one-pot meal you can put together in no time!
My family loves chicken in all variations actually, but every time I wrap chicken breasts in bacon I actually think I should do this more often.
The bacon really makes the sensitive breast pieces which, if not treated carefully, do tend to become a bit dry, juicier, and heartier in taste. I love the saltiness of the bacon and the combination with the aromatic herbs and the tangy lime make this dish really something special.
And don’t forget the garlic (I know I never do). You will love every bite of this.
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Thinly sliced bacon slices.
- The needed amount will depend on the width of the bacon slices.
- The German bacon I am using is very narrow, so I tend to use more than required in many recipes.
- Use enough slices to wrap the breast pieces nicely.
What herbs go with bacon?
- Any kind of herbs that go well with pork generally.
- To fill the chicken breast I used a mixture of fresh parsley and basil mixed with some lime and garlic.
- Best to use are fresh or frozen herbs, dried parsley and basil are not great.
- For the potatoes, rosemary and thyme are a great choice. Either fresh or dried is fine.
- Alternative herbs for the bacon chicken would be fresh thyme, sage, or tarragon.
- Start with the potatoes as they will need more time in the oven than the meat.
- While the potatoes are roasting, prepare the chicken and the herb filling.
- Cut a pocket into each breast piece taking care not to cut the whole way through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper inside and outside.
- Fill the pockets with the herb mixture and wrap each breast portion in 1 or 2 slices bacon, depending on how wide the bacon slices are. Tuck the end of the bacon slice under the breast piece.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven, they should be half cooked at this point. Push the potatoes around to make some space for the meat. Place the breast pieces into the baking dish and arrange the lime slices in between.
- To check that the bacon-wrapped chicken is cooked through, pierce with a skewer, the juices should run clear.
- Or check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer, it should be 74 degrees Celsius/ 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
More bacon recipes?
- 1 kg/ 2.2 pounds potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 sprigs of thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 2 sprigs of rosemary or ½ teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 organic lime
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 4 to 8 thin bacon slices, depending on their size (I used 8)
- fine sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel the potatoes and cut them into bite-sized cubes. Place on the baking tray, add the chopped thyme and rosemary (or the dried herbs), paprika, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Mix very well to coat the potatoes with oil and spices. Bake for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, pick the parsley and basil leaves and chop them finely. Grate the garlic cloves and mix them with the herbs. Carefully grate the peel of the lime and add it to the herb mixture.
- Cut a pocket into each chicken breast piece taking care not to cut the whole way through. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Fill the pockets with the herb mixture and wrap each breast portion in 1 or 2 slices bacon, depending on how wide the bacon slices are. Tuck the end of the bacon slice under the breast.
- Cut the lime into slices. Take the potatoes out of the oven, they should be half cooked at this point. Push the potatoes around to make some space for the chicken. Place the chicken breasts on the tray and arrange the lime slices in between. Continue baking for further 20-25 minutes.
- Pierce the chicken breast with a skewer to see if it's cooked through, the juices should run clear. Do not overcook the chicken.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 chicken breast with 250g potatoes
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 651mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 7gSugar: 3gProtein: 52g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.