Sauteed sweet potatoes, tender, spicy, and comforting. Serve with tahini sauce (or another sauce) for a light meal or as a side dish.
A simple dish of sauteed sweet potatoes for a light lunch or dinner. Or as a side dish suitable for many other dishes.
I cook sweet potatoes on a regular basis, either sauteed or pan-fried, air-fried, dauphinoise, fries, and even brownies. Not to forget the delightful puff pastry pie, which makes a wonderful festive meatless dish.
Sauteing them in a cast-iron skillet (Amazon affiliate link) or a non-stick pan is one of the easiest ways of dealing with them. All you have to do is to peel and cube the veggies and stir them in the pan for a rather short time.
What do you need?
- Not to be confused with yams. I’ve been reading recently that there is a bit of confusion in the US on this matter.
- What you will need for this recipe are red-skinned, orange-fleshed ones.
- I had a mixture of paprika, cinnamon, brown sugar, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper.
- This mixture tastes amazing, but it is still optional.
- The cubes will still taste good if you only use salt and pepper.
- Or use other spice mixtures you like, either bought mixtures (like curry powder, Cajun spices, or other favorite ones) or mix your own spices.
Other spice mixture ideas:
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme + ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary + 1 grated garlic clove + salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin + ½ teaspoon ground coriander + pinch of nutmeg + red chili flakes to taste + salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon + 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- pinch of ground cloves + pinch of cinnamon + 2 teaspoons brown sugar + a little salt
How to saute sweet potatoes?
Difference between sauteing and pan-frying:
- When you pan-fry something, you will normally need a little more fat than when sauteing something.
- By adding some vegetable broth to the pan, I get away with using only 1 tablespoon of oil yet having a great dish of savory, tender, and delicious potatoes.
- Peel and cube the veggies.
- Mix all the spices in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in the cast-iron skillet (or a non-stick pan) and saute for about 3 minutes. (1)
- Add the spices and stir well to coat the vegetables.
- Add ½ of the vegetable broth. It will start to bubble immediately. Let the liquid bubble away; it will not take long. (2.3)
- Pour the remaining broth into the skillet, stir quickly and cover the pan. (4)
- Cook for about 5-6 minutes, check. The veggies should be perfectly tender. If they are not, allow a few more minutes and check again.
How to serve?
What to do with leftovers?
You will probably not have any, but just in case.
These sauteed cubes are amazing stuffed into a flatbread (pita, Turkish bread, tortilla), drizzled with the remaining sauce, and topped with other veggies like chopped salad leaves, pepper, cucumber, or tomato slices. Actually, I often cook this dish just to stuff some flatbread.
You can add some cheese as well, my favorite version is with feta, but other sorts of cheese are great as well.
More sweet potato recipes:
- Baked Slices
- Asparagus Coconut Curry
- Jacket Sweet Potatoes
- Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Soup with Coconut Milk
- Vegan Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
- Chili Lime Salmon and Mash
Sauteed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet potatoes:
- 10.5 oz sweet potatoes 300 g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth 250 ml
- Tahini sauce:
- 1 ½ tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 small garlic cloves
- a few drops of lemon juice to taste
- fine sea salt and black pepper
- some cilantro or parsley
- Mix paprika, cinnamon, red chili flakes, brown sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Prepare sweet potatoes: Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into cubes, about 1 inch/ 2 ½ cm.
- Saute: Heat the olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet or a non-stick pan. Saute the sweet potatoes, often stirring, for about 3 minutes.
- Season: Sprinkle the spice mixture over the potato cubes and stir for about 1 minute.
- Cook: Add ½ of the vegetable stock, let bubble until evaporated; it will only take a few moments. Add the remaining broth, cover the pan, and cook on medium-low heat for about 6 minutes.Check the sweet potatoes; they should be soft. If they are not done yet, continue cooking for 2-3 minutes more.
- Make the sauce, in the meantime. Place the tahini and the cold water in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add the grated garlic, a little squeeze of lemon juice, some salt, and pepper to taste. Whisk again and add 1 extra tablespoon of cold water if you want a thinner sauce.
- Serve the sauteed sweet potatoes immediately drizzled with the sauce and sprinkled with cilantro or parsley.