Strawberry rhubarb bundt cake: a soft and moist, easy to make and sure to please anyone. Made with Greek yogurt.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cake
Bundt cake, pound cake, kugelhopf, there are so many names for this kind of cake. And so many possibilities. I have made my share of bundt cakes over the years, have a look at these delicious Orange Bundt Cake or this Chocolate Almond Bundt Cake; they are two of my favorites.
If you like the strawberry rhubarb combination, try the Rhubarb Crumble Tart with Strawberries or the Strawberry Rhubarb Jam. And learn What to Do with Rhubarb? (Bake, Cook, Preserve – a full article all about dealing with rhubarb.
What do you need?
- I baked this recipe with the first rhubarb stalk I could pick in my friend’s garden. The bush is not particularly large yet, it needs about one week more to reach its full potential, but I could still get some smaller stalks to make this wonderful and simple cake. The recipe doesn’t require a lot, so one stalk was actually sufficient.
- It was the first rhubarb cake I have baked this year, but it will not be the last. We love anything made with rhubarb: cakes, desserts, jams, or savory dishes, and I always try to make the most of the short season.
- A rather small amount as well, only 150 g /5.3 oz fresh strawberries.
- I prefer to use cake or pastry flour when baking cakes; I think it makes the baked goods fluffier and nicer. However, if all you have is all-purpose flour, it should be fine as well.
- Thick, creamy yogurt, the one I use has 3,8% fat. You can use full-fat but don’t go lower than 3% if using low fat.
Other ingredients: sugar, eggs, butter, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract.
How to prepare a bundt pan for baking?
- I usually use a silicone bundt cake mold (Amazon affiliate link). It requires absolutely no preparation; pour the batter into the pan, bake, get it out of the pan in 3 seconds. Everything perfect!
- Traditional pans are not that difficult to work with either but keep in mind that although they are called non-stick, if you don’t prepare them carefully, everything will stick to them anyway, and you can then scrape the pieces out of it instead of having a nice looking, whole cake.
- There is a simple method to avoid this kind of mess.
- Take a generous amount of soft butter and use your hands to thoroughly grease the bundt pan, including all the nooks and crannies of the pan. Make sure every inch of the pan is well greased.
- If the butter is very soft, you could use a brush to grease the bundt pan, but I prefer my hands; I feel they do a better job…
- After you have greased the pan, you have to coat it with flour.
- Take about ¼ cup or so of flour, tip it into the pan and start shaking and turning the pan so that the flour coats the insides, including all the nooks and crannies as well.
- I do that over the kitchen sink so that the flour will not get on all the working surfaces or all over the floor.
- When the pan is properly coated with flour, turn it around and start shaking and patting it gently on the bottom and on the sides to remove the excess flour.
How to make a rhubarb bundt cake with strawberries?
Most important tip: Always use a digital kitchen scale when baking, it guarantees for best results (Amazon affiliate link).
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare the pan.
- Chop rhubarb, mix with a little sugar and cinnamon, set aside. Chop strawberries and set them aside.
- Separate the eggs, beat egg whites until stiff, set aside.
- Beat sugar, butter, vanilla until creamy. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well in between.
- Mix flour and baking powder and add to the butter mixture alternating with the yogurt.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Fold in drained rhubarb and strawberries as well.
- Pour in the pan and bake for 55-60 minutes until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes, unmold and let get cool on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar if desired.
How to store?
Store the rhubarb-strawberry cake in an airtight container at room temperature. It will be perfectly fine for at least 3 days. You can also freeze the leftover slices. Defrost on the counter, it will not take long.
More bundt cakes:
Strawberry Rhubarb Bundt Cake
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ about 1 ½ cup chopped rhubarb
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ about 1 ½ cup chopped strawberries
- 4 eggs medium Germany, large US
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ ¾ cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter soft
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 280 g/ 9.9 oz/ 2 + 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 packet/ 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ ½ cup Greek yogurt
- icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare the bundt pan (see the blog post for detailed instructions on preparing a bundt pan for baking). In short: butter the pan very thoroughly, dust it with flour and pat the pan to distribute the flour all over, including all the nooks and crannies of the pan. Shake, upside down, to remove the excess flour. If you are using a silicone bundt pan, there is no need to prepare it.
- Chop the rhubarb into small cubes, place into a bowl, mix with the sugar and the cinnamon and set aside while you prepare the rest. Chop the strawberries and set aside as well.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Place the soft butter, sugar, and vanilla extract into a bowl and beat until pale and creamy. Add the egg yolks, one by one, beating well between the additions.
- Mix together the flour and the baking powder. Alternatively, add the flour and the yogurt to the cake batter. Carefully fold in the stiff egg whites.
- Drain the rhubarb. Very carefully fold the rhubarb and the chopped strawberries into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Dust with icing sugar, if desired, before serving.