Tender and flavorful banana bread bundt cake made with overripe bananas, chocolate chips, or chocolate streusel and covered with a simple powdered sugar and lemon glaze.
This easy banana bread bundt cake is made with basic ingredients that you can stir together in minutes. And the results are incredibly delicious: the crumb is soft and moist, and the chocolate chips you add make everything just perfect.
I am a big fan of banana bread; I don't think I've ever had one I didn't love.
Other reasons to love it: The bundt pan banana bread keeps well for several days; it’s excellent as a dessert, but also for breakfast, for taking to work or school, for a picnic, or a potluck party.
If you are searching for more banana recipes, check these out: Vegan Banana Bread, Honey Oat Banana Muffins, No-Bake Banana Caramel Pie, Chocolate Banana Cherry Cake, and Banana Split.
Bundt cake pan
- The banana bread bundt cake was baked in a silicon 10-inch/ 25 cm bundt cake pan with a capacity of 10 cups (2300 ml).
- Of course, a 12-cup bundt pan will work too, but the bundt cake banana bread will be flatter and probably bake faster; it's better to start checking after 30-35 minutes already.
- A silicon pan doesn’t need to be greased and floured; the baked goods will slip out without resistance (Amazon affiliate link).
- You can use a regular nonstick pan of similar size and capacity, but ensure you grease and flour it thoroughly before filling it with the batter (Amazon affiliate link).
How to measure the capacity of my bundt cake pan?
- Fill it with water to the brim, then measure the water using a measuring cup.
How to prepare a bundt pan for baking?
- Grease it well with butter, including all the nooks and crannies. You can use your fingers or a silicon pastry brush.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of flour into the pan and shake it around to ensure that the insides of the form are evenly coated.
- Turn the pan over the sink and pat it gently to remove the excess flour.
How to unmold a bundt cake?
- Let the cake cool slightly in the pan; 30 minutes should be enough. The freshly baked cake is still fragile; if you try to unmold it immediately after baking, it will probably break.
- Place a wire rack under the slightly cooled bundt cake and invert the pan with the rack. The cake should easily slide out.
- Let it cool completely on the cooling rack.
- Overripe bananas: About 3 medium spotted or brown bananas. I weighed mine before peeling – 1 lb/ 450 g and after peeling - 12 oz/ 350 g.
- Dry ingredients: All-purpose flour (or cake flour), baking soda, cinnamon, and fine sea salt or kosher salt. Then you will need brown sugar and white granulated sugar.
- Wet ingredients: One stick of soft, unsalted butter and two large eggs at room temperature.
- Chocolate: Chocolate streusels are great if you have them. Otherwise, use chocolate chips or chopped chocolate instead (you can add up to ½ cup).
- Ingredients for the glaze: Powdered sugar (icing sugar) and lemon juice. Alternatively, you can use milk or water, but lemon juice imparts the banana bundt cake with the best flavor.
What could I add?
- Nuts: Chopped walnuts, pecans, almonds, hazelnuts, or macadamia nuts (about ½ cup).
- Spices like carrot or pumpkin cake spices, cardamom, allspice, cloves, ginger, or nutmeg.
How to make banana bread bundt cake?
- Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C). Grease and flour the bundt cake pan thoroughly, including all its nooks and crannies. Turn it over the sink and pat it gently to remove the excess flour.
- Bananas: Peel and mash bananas with a fork. Set them aside (1).
- Dry ingredients: Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside (2).
- Wet ingredients: Beat the soft butter, brown sugar, and white sugar in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer (or in the stand mixer with a paddle attachment) until the mixture is creamier (3).
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well in between.
- Mix in the mashed banana.
- Combine: Sieve the flour mixture over the wet mixture and fold in gently using a spatula until just combined (4). Don’t overmix!
- Fold in the chocolate in just 2 or 3 movements (5).
- Bake: Pour batter into the greased bundt pan (6) and bake the bundt pan banana bread in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick or tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool: Let the chocolate chip banana bundt cake cool in the tin for about 30 minutes. Remove it carefully and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Glaze: Mix the powdered sugar and 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice in a small bowl. Add more lemon juice, a drop at a time, until the sugar glaze reaches the right consistency; it should be relatively thick yet still pourable.
- If it’s too thick, add more lemon juice. If it’s too thin, add a bit more powdered sugar.
The most important tip: Always use a digital kitchen scale in baking; it’s the only way to ensure the best results (Amazon affiliate link). Baking is a science, and it requires precise measurements.
Bundt cake pan: Even a nonstick pan needs to be thoroughly greased and flour, including all the nooks and crannies; if you don’t, the baked goods will stick to the pan and break when you try to remove them from the pan. A silicon bundt cake pan doesn’t need to be greased and floured.
Room temperature: The eggs should be at room temperature, and the butter needs to be soft. They will create a smooth emulsion that traps the air in the batter. This air will expand during baking, making the baked goods light and fluffy.
Bake the banana bread bundt cake immediately. Make sure that you preheat the oven and prepare the baking tin before you start mixing the batter.
For a more decadent banana bundt bread, cover it with cream cheese frosting or this fantastic white chocolate cream cheese frosting.
You’ve probably used too much flour, which only happens when using cups to measure flour.
Room temperature: Wrap it lightly in a paper towel and keep it in an airtight container at room temperature. It will remain moist and delicious for about 3 days.
Refrigerate it in an airtight container to store it for about 5 days. The cake will become a bit denser when refrigerated, but you will still love it.
Freeze it for up to 3 months.
Whole cake: Wrap it in plastic wrap and then in foil.
Individual slices: Freeze the portions in a single layer on a baking sheet or plate. Once solid, wrap them in plastic or aluminum foil and place them in freezer bags or airtight containers.
Defrost in the fridge or on the counter.
More bundt cake recipes
Easy Banana Bread Bundt Cake
- Bundt cake pan 10-cup capacity
- 3 bananas overripe, Note 2
- 1 ¾ cup all-purpose flour 250 g
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter soft 4 oz/ 115 g
- ⅓ cup brown sugar 60 g
- ¼ cup granulated sugar 50 g
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup chocolate streusel 50 g + 1 teaspoon for decoration, Note 3
- ¾ cup powdered sugar 2 ½ oz/ 75 g
- 3-4 teaspoons lemon juice or milk
- Preheat the oven to 360°F/ 175°C. Grease and flour the cake pan thoroughly, including all the nooks and crannies (Note 4). Turn it over the sink and pat it gently to remove the excess flour. A silicon bundt cake pan doesn’t need to be prepared.
- Bananas: Peel and mash the bananas with a fork. 3 overripe bananas
- Dry ingredients: Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set them aside. 1 ¾ cup/ 250 g flour + 1 teaspoon baking soda +1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1 pinch of salt
- Wet ingredients: Beat the soft butter and both kinds of sugar in a large bowl and on medium-high speed until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well in between. Stir in the mashed bananas. 1 stick/ 115 g soft butter + ⅓ cup/ 60 g brown sugar + ¼ cup/ 50 g granulated sugar + 2 eggs + bananas
- Combine batter: Sift the flour mixture over the wet mixture and fold it in gently using a rubber spatula until just combined. Don’t overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate streusel or chips in just 2 or 3 movements.¼ cup/ 50 g streusel OR ½ cup/ 80 g chips
- Bake: Transfer the cake batter to the prepared bundt cake pan. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Glaze: Mix the powdered sugar with 2-3 teaspoons of lemon juice. Add more lemon juice if necessary; the glaze should be thick yet slightly pourable. Pour over the bread, sprinkle the bundt cake with a few more chocolate streusels, and let it set. ¾ cup/75 g powdered sugar + 3-4 teaspoon lemon juice + 1 teaspoon chocolate streusel
- Scale: Always use a digital kitchen scale in baking; it guarantees the best results (Amazon affiliate link).
- Bananas: Unpeeled weight 1 lb/ 450 g; peeled weight 12 oz/ 350g.
- Chocolate chips are also great. You can add ½ cup of chocolate chips if you like.
- Pan: Even a nonstick pan needs to be thoroughly greased and flour, including all the nooks and crannies; if you don’t do it, the cake will stick to the pan and break when you try to remove it from the pan. A silicon bundt cake pan doesn’t need to be greased and floured.
Leave a Reply