Sharing is caring!
A super easy fresh nectarine or peach cake recipe made with sour cream. Moist and delicious, a real summer treat.
NECTARINE OR PEACH CAKE
One very easy cake recipe, which can be made either with nectarines or peaches, whatever you happen to have.
And not only nectarines or peaches are suitable for this cake, it will definitely be just as delicious with apricots, fresh cherries or sour cherries, gooseberries or even apples.
The kind of cake recipe to have on hand for any summer gathering or celebration, you can eat it from the hand, no need for a fork. The peach cake is also made in no time, the ingredients are cheap and you probably always have them in the house
And the best thing about it is that you can use whatever fruit you like or happens to be in season.
And I have yet to meet one person who didn’t like this cake, well except somebody going completely sugar-free or something like that.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE FRESH PEACH CAKE
- You can use either nectarines or peaches to make this sour cream cake.
- When choosing the fruit, look for sweet, ripe yet still a little firm peaches or nectarines, they should not be overripe and too soft or the cake will become soggy.
- And if peaches or nectarines are not in season, you can also use cherries (sweet or sour), gooseberries (love this version, it is rather sour and I like that), plums or apples.
- I normally use smetana, an Eastern European sort of sour cream with a fat content of about 30% .
- When I don’t have smetana, I use the German Schmand, which is very similar and also has about 30% fat.
- Creme fraiche would be fine as well. American sour cream is fine as well, although it has a lower fat content.
- Make sure you use unsalted butter and that you remove the butter from the fridge a few hours before baking, it has to be soft.
HOW TO MAKE PEACH OR NECTARINE CAKE?
Should you peel the peaches?
You can remove the peel of the peaches or nectarines, if you wish, but I never bother. In case you do want to, here’s how to do it:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Carefully place the peaches inside the pot and leave them for about 15-20 seconds, the peel should split.
- Remove them with a slotted spoon and give them to a bowl of ice water.
- Remove the peel of the peaches/nectarines using a paring knife.
- Now you can halve the fruit, remove the stone and cut the fruit into slices or cubes. Give them to a sieve until you need them.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites in a clean bowl until stiff. Set aside.
- Give the egg yolks to another bowl and add 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ ¾ cup of the granulated sugar, vanilla extract, sour cream/smetana/creme fraiche. Beat until creamy.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour and the baking powder. Carefully fold them into the butter-sour cream mixture.
- Carefully, fold in the stiff egg whites as well.
- Pour the batter into a baking tray of about 21×32 cm/ 8×13 inch, which you lined with baking paper.
- Arrange the peaches or nectarines on top and sprinkle them with the remaining sugar.
Bake the fresh peach cake:
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on your oven, or until the peach cake (or nectarine cake) is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for at least 20 – 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve either lukewarm or at room temperature.
WHAT ELSE TO DO WITH PEACHES OR NECTARINES?
We go through “tones” of peaches and nectarines every summer, we eat them fresh, I grill them for salads or side dishes and I bake a lot with them.
Why not try another amazing nectarine or peach cake, this Easy Fresh Peach or Nectarine Cake is one of the most popular summer recipes on the blog.
- 1 kg/ 2.2 lbs nectarines or peaches or other seasonal fruit
- 2 eggs (large Germany, extra-large US)
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250 g/ 8.8 oz/ 1 cup smetana/sour cream/creme fraiche
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, soft
- 250 g/ 8.8 oz/ 2 cups + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ teaspoons Dr. Oetker baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking dish of approximately 21x32 cm/ 8x13 inch with baking paper.
- Prepare the fruit. Stone the nectarines or peaches and cut them into larger cubes or slices. Place in a colander and let drain slightly until you make the batter.
- Separate the eggs. Beat the egg whites until stiff and glossy.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the egg yolks, 150 g/ 5.3 oz/ ¾ cup of the sugar, vanilla extract, smetana/sour cream, and soft butter until creamy.
- In another bowl mix together the flour and the baking powder. Incorporate into the butter-egg mixture.
- Carefully fold in the stiff egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
- Arrange the fruit on top and sprinkle the fruit with the remaining 50 g/ 1.7 oz/ ¼ cup sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the cake is baked through.
- The peach cake can be served either lukewarm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 14 Serving Size: 1 square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 65mgSodium: 101mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 2gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.