Perfect sour cream muffins, suitable for any occasion. You can have them plain or you can decorate them as cupcakes.
These sour cream muffins are our favorite muffins: soft and tender, with a perfect crumb, sweet and light tasting, easy and quick to make. I discovered them a long time ago, and baked them more often than I can count.
They are so good, you will not need any topping or filling at all, even when eaten plain, these muffins are incredible!
How to make?
Not only they are some of the best tasting muffins I have ever had, these sweeties are also very easy to make, easier than the usual muffin, I would say.
I mean, making muffins generally is really not difficult, but sometimes people (me included) tend to over mix the batter and that is known to be quite bad for muffins, muffin batter should be stirred just long enough to mix the ingredients and you should stop before it is too late, even though there would be still floury clumps in the batter.
Otherwise they will lose their airiness and softness and become quite chewy.
Well, you will not have this problem with this batter. This is not your usual muffin mixture, it is more of a sponge mixture, so you can relax a bit when you stir them.
- Preheat the oven.
- Line a 12-muffin tray with muffin paper cases.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk with a hand-held mixer until the batter is smooth.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Leave to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove from the tray and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- That’s it!
How to decorate?
You can serve the sour cream muffins as they are or lightly sprinkled with icing sugar.If you would like to make cupcakes, they are the perfect base for them.
You can decorate them any way you like. You could try the following:
- Vanilla or chocolate buttercream
- Cream cheese frosting
- Blueberry frosting
- Icing sugar frosting topped with candy, like sprinkles, gummi bears, m&m and so on (for a kids’ party)
So if you want to bake some muffins or cupcakes soon, I totally recommend you to try these, you will love them, I am sure. And be creative with the frosting on top, I would love to hear what kind of frosting you like best.
More easy muffin recipes
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft (See note)
- 150g/ 5.3 oz/ ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 190 g/ 6.7 oz/ 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 125 g/ 4.4 oz/ ½ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 12-muffin tray with muffin paper cases.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk with a handheld mixer until the batter is smooth. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the oven, they are ready when lightly golden. Leave to cool for about 5 minutes, then remove from the tray and let cool down completely on a wire rack.
- Serve plain sprinkled with icing sugar or decorate with any frosting you like.
Take the butter out of the fridge a few hours before baking.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 199Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 98mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.