Summer berries of choice and a creamy, wonderful cream cheese filling. Fresh and fruity, if it wasn’t for the cases that hold everything together, you wouldn’t even know that you are eating cake.
This recipe makes 6 cups, way too little, I found, when serving them. Everybody would have loved to have a second one but as there were 5 of us, only one was lucky enough to get the last cup. I won’t make this mistake again. 🙂
The recipe for the cups makes 20 – 24 cups. I suggest you make the whole batch and freeze the leftover dough. It freezes well and it is so versatile. You can use it to quickly make more cups or of course normal-sized pies, which you can fill with whatever creams and fruits you like.
The recipe was adapted from Ottolenghi: The Cookbook. He used mascarpone instead of cream cheese, but I am not a huge fan of mascarpone. I do like it in tiramisu but otherwise I find it a bit heavy and replace it frequently with cream cheese, which has a fresher taste and consistency. Not to mention fewer calories.
To make the pre-baked cases follow the recipe here.
- 6 pre-baked cases
- 110 g/ 3.8 oz cream cheese
- 110 g/ 3.8 oz crème fraiche
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 25 g/ 3 tablespoons icing sugar + extra for dusting
- about 150 g/ 5.3 oz berries of choice (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, red, white or black currants)
- For making the cases follow the link above.
- For the filling mix the cream cheese with a whisk to loosen it up. Add the crème fraiche, vanilla essence and icing sugar and whisk until the cream thickens again. Fill the cases with the cream and arrange the berries on top. Dust with icing sugar if you wish.