An easy recipe for puff pastry with chocolate filling using only three ingredients and ready in no time.
Puff pastry, chocolate, one egg, and one tablespoon water. All you need to make this delicious puff pastry chocolate dessert. And about 30 minutes of your time.
This is my daughter’s favorite kind of dessert. I don’t even have to ask, every few weeks or so she would ask me to, please, make something with puff pastry again. Either these mini croissants, cinnamon rolls, or her absolute favorite mini apple pies. Well, all these unless she is asking for a super plain pudding…
What will you need?
As mentioned above you will only need three ingredients to make chocolate puff pastry. Not counting the one tablespoon water, which you can leave out, but I think it makes the egg easier to brush on the rolls.
- The ready-rolled kind from the refrigerator section of the supermarket. It costs almost nothing, it is delicious and so easy to work with.
- Frozen is a very good substitute, of course. Defrost it according to the package instructions and roll it, if not already rolled.
- One packet of ready-rolled pastry weighs 275 g/ 10 oz in Germany and it is about 25 cm/ 9.8 inches long (a little more or less is OK). That makes a small batch of chocolate puff pastry, about 12 pieces.
- The amount of dough is not very important, use the available sorts and increase the filling amount accordingly.
- I used chunks this time, but I often used a bar which I chopped into small pieces.
- Regular chips can be used instead.
- Either plain, bittersweet, or milk chocolate, whatever you like.
Egg: one beaten egg mixed with a little water (or milk).
How to make chocolate puff pastry?
- Cut the rolled dough.
- Fill with some chips/chunks/ chopped chocolate of choice.
- Roll, form the crescent shaped mini croissants and brush with egg.
- That’s it!
Variations on the recipe
How about filling the dessert with some white chocolate chips? Or a small amount of Nutella or another similar nut spread. Or you can make these croissants with jam or jelly.
You don’t have to form mini croissants. If you like cut the dough into strips, place the filling at one end and roll the dought into a roll.
How to serve the mini croissants?
I prefer to serve them while they are still warm. Why? Because the chocolate is still melted and so delicious!
You can definitely serve them at room temperature as well, but the filling will be solid again. Still scrumptius!
How to store?
The puff pastry with chocolate filling will keep well for a couple of days. The rolls will not be as crispy anymore but still tasty. Keep in airtight containers at room temperature.
More puff pastry recipes:
- Pastry Apple Rolls
- Asparagus Appetizer with Mayonnaise
- Cheese Twists
- Berry Cake
- Ham and Cheese Croissants
- Sweet Potato Pie
- 275 g/ 10 oz puff pastry (Note 2)
- about 80 g/ 2.3 oz/ ½ cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate (Note 3)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water (or milk)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Unroll the pastry on the working surface. Cut into triangles (or strips).
- Place some chocolate chips/chopped chocolate at the base of the triangle. I had 10 nice triangles and used the edges to form croissants as well.
- Roll up starting at the wider end. Place them, seam side down, on the baking tray, and make sure that the tip of the triangle is tucked under the croissant. Bend the edges to create the crescent shape.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and water with a fork. Brush the croissants with the mixture.
- Bake for about 17 - 20 minutes or until deeply golden (check the packet's instructions regarding the baking time as well).
- The recipe can be easily doubled. You will not need an extra egg to brush the pastry if you double the recipe, one egg should be enough for 2-3 batches.
- I use a refrigerated ready-rolled puff pastry of about 25 cm/ 9.8 inches long, a little more or less is OK. Frozen pastry is perfectly fine as well. Thaw and roll (if necessary) according to the packet's instructions.
- Milk, plain, semi-sweet chocolate, whatever you like. Use as much as needed.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 166Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 65mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.