Super easy ham and cheese puff pastry croissants, perfect for a nice brunch or for a party. Put together in 10 minutes (without baking time).
All the other recipes from this short breakfast series are things you can make a day ahead, not only the two recipes I have already mentioned, but also the two remaining ones, the ones that I will post during the next days.
I make something with puff pastry relatively often, not necessarily for breakfast, mostly as nibbles for a party, anything made with puff pastry is suitable when you are invited somewhere where you are supposed to bring something.
- All you need is a packet of refrigerated puff pastry, a few thin slices of ham and cheese, egg yolk, and some sesame seeds.
- I used regular ham and Gouda cheese, but you could use whatever ham you like, pork or poultry, you can even use salami or other cold meats you like.
- The Gouda can be easily replaced with Parmesan or Cheddar or my favorite version (which my kids hate) a really nice and strong Bergkäse, which is a German cheese sort, a bit like Gruyere.
- If you want to make these puff pastry croissants vegetarian, leave out the ham and use a bit more cheese. Or replace the ham with some very thinly sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil, some chopped herbs, or a bit of pesto. And make sure that the cheese you use is vegetarian.
How to make ham and cheese croissants?
- Cut, fill and roll the croissants, pop them in the oven for about 20 minutes and you’re done, it really couldn’t get any easier, isn’t it? And the result is bound to please anybody.
More ham and cheese ideas:
Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Croissants
- 1 packet puff pastry refrigerated (Note)
- 1-2 slices ham depending on their size
- 1-2 slices Gouda/Cheddar/ Gruyere cheese depending on their size
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- some sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius/ 430 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Unroll the puff pastry on the working surface and cut it into large triangles. Cut the ham and cheese into strips.
- Lay a few strips of ham and a few strips of the cheese on the broad side of the triangle. Start rolling the triangle starting at the base.
- Place on the prepared baking tray with the seam facing down. Bend in the edges to create a crescent shape.
- Beat the egg yolk and the milk together in a small bowl. Brush the croissants with this mixture and sprinkle them with sesame seeds (or nigella seeds for a change).
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until deeply golden and baked through. Serve immediately.