These cocktail sausage appetizers make the perfect finger food for a garden party or a football evening.
COLOMBIAN SALCHICHAS EN COCA COLA
I’ve really managed to surprise everybody with these cocktail sausage appetizers or salchichas en Coca-Cola. Although I had said right from the start that the sausages are cooked in Coke, nobody really wanted to believe it, it was just like: ” What? Only Coca-Cola? And what else?” Nothing else, I kept saying.
Just two ingredients: sausages and Cola. Very little working time, all you have to do is cut the wieners into smaller pieces and do a bit of stirring from time to time. And there you have it: deliciously glazed cocktail sausages, hearty yet sweet, totally unhealthy but such a joy to eat! 🙂
What do you need?
As mentioned above, you only need two ingredients to make this recipe.
- Or any other coca-cola similar soft drink, I don’t think that matters that much. (And by the way, this is not a sponsored post).
- I use Vienna or Frankfurter sausages, the ones found in the refrigerator section of the supermarket or freshly bought at the butchers.
- The butcher’s kind is, of course, the best quality and they always taste better than already packed sausages, but for this recipe, you can go with the cheaper version of the sausages. The Coca-Cola glaze is quite strong in taste, so you will not actually be able to notice any difference in taste between the expensive butcher’s sausages and the supermarket version.
- The sausages I use are thin, the thicker sorts are not that appropriate for the recipe.
- You can definitely use cocktail wieners or similar mini sausages.
- If you bought too many sausages for this recipe (they often come in huge packs), ff
- Pour the beverage into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Let cook for a while until reduced and quite thickened.
- In the meantime, cut the sausages in 3 equal pieces, about 4 cm/ 1.5 inches long, and cut across at both ends of each sausage piece.
- Add the wieners to the pot and continue cooking, stirring often, until the liquid thickens well and the pieces are perfectly glazed.
MORE PARTY RECIPES?
PRETZEL CHIPS – Crispy and utterly delicious homemade pretzel chips.
EASY SPINACH ARTICHOKE DIP – An easy, cold spinach artichoke dip, made in no time and perfect for vegetable sticks, crackers or as a bread spread.
PRETZEL DOGS – Easy pretzel dog recipe, hot dogs in homemade pretzel dough, perfect finger food for any kind of party.
TURKISH BEEF KOFTA – An easy to make beef kofta recipe or spicy Turkish meatballs, always delicious and perfect for any kind of gathering.
EMPANADAS WITH BEEF FILLING – Homemade baked beef empanadas filled with spicy ground beef, jalapeňos, cumin, paprika, coriander and lots of herbs.
- 500 ml/ 17 fl.oz/ 2 cups Coca Cola or similar drink
- 10 Vienna/ Wiener/Frankfurters/hot dogs (See note)
- Pour the Coca Cola in a wider saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid reduces by half and thickens slightly. This will take about 15 minutes, depending on how wide your pot is.
- In the meantime, cut the sausages into 3 equal parts about 4 cm/ 1.5 inches long and cut a cross at both ends of each sausage piece.
- Add the sausage pieces to the saucepan, stir well and continue cooking, stirring often, until the liquid thickens well and the sausages are nicely coated with the glaze. This should take about 5 – 10 minutes but leave them longer, if the cola is not thickened yet.
If using cocktail sausages/ mini wieners you will need more, about 30, depending on size.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1/4 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 566Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 125mgSodium: 1554mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 24g
Nutrition information isn’t always accurate.