Goat cheese spaghetti with zucchini, a quick yet elegant pasta dish with a creamy lemon goat cheese sauce. Perfect to serve to guests.
Goat cheese pasta with zucchini (courgettes) in a creamy sauce made with heavy cream and lemon, this dish is truly something special.
Pasta is not something I would necessarily make for guests. I make pasta at least once a week for the family, but I rarely purposely make it when somebody comes for dinner. We love pasta and everything, I have rarely eaten a pasta dish that I didn't like, but normally I think that serving pasta to guests is too simple when entertaining I feel the need of putting a bit more effort into my cooking, a way of honoring the guests, I suppose.
And yet this zucchini goat cheese spaghetti dish is an exception, it is something I've treated guests with several times already and it has been a success every time.
A perfect recipe for an easy evening with friends in summer, preferably eaten in the garden when the weather allows it, using zucchini, which are abundant at the moment, lemon juice to make it refreshing and fit for the warm weather and goat cheese, goat Gouda to be precise, which makes the meal a bit fancier than it would otherwise be.
A nice green salad on the side and a bottle of good white wine, and trust me, you won't need anything else. Well, maybe just a dessert after the meal. 🙂
Goat Gouda cheese: definitely my favorite kind of Gouda.
- In comparison to regular Gouda, goat Gouda is completely white, it has the same shape as normal but the taste is different.
- It is a bit more expensive than regular Gouda, that is why I don't use it often in cooking, I prefer to enjoy it as it is with some bread or as part of a larger cheese platter.
- The cheese tastes amazing with some fig marmalade on top or drizzled with a little honey.
- In case you are not familiar with goat cheese and are afraid that its flavor might be too sharp, don't worry, goat Gouda is quite mild compared to other goat cheese varieties. That makes it a perfect choice for the first-time taster.
- You could replace it with regular Gouda or cheddar, I suppose, the dish will still taste good, but it will be different.
- I happened to have a yellow one in the fridge, and that made the dish look even prettier.
- However, if all you have are green zucchini, they are perfectly fine.
Other ingredients: heavy cream, garlic, 1 large lemon, fresh thyme, and vegetable broth (bouillon cube is fine).
- You can use a spiralizer to cut the zucchini, if you happen to have one. Otherwise, slice them thinly with a vegetable peeler.
More spaghetti dishes:
Goat Cheese Spaghetti with Zucchini
- 2 medium zucchini Note
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 garlic cloves
- 14 oz spaghetti
- 1 large lemon
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups grated goat Gouda cheese
- 3-4 sprigs thyme
- fine sea salt and pepper
- Cut the zucchini into long strips using a vegetable peeler. If you have a spiralizer, you could use that as well.
- Marinate: In a large bowl, mix the heavy cream and the grated garlic cloves. Add salt and pepper to taste. Place the zucchini stripes in the cream and leave to marinate for about 20 – 30 minutes or until you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Cook pasta: Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to the packet's instructions.
- Grate cheese: In the meantime, grate the goat Gouda and chop the thyme leaves very finely.
- Combine: Drain the spaghetti and place them back in the pot. Add the zucchini and the cream, about ¾ of the lemon juice, and the vegetable broth. Stir well but very gently, taking care not to break the zucchini stripes too much (I find that using two forks works best in this case).
- Add cheese: Heat everything together, then add the cheese and the thyme. Stir again to mix everything and to help the cheese melt. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper and more lemon juice if necessary. Serve immediately with a green salad.