Green onion pasta with a creamy yet light cream cheese sauce with lots of vegetables. A quick to make, healthy, and super satisfying dish!
Green Onion Spaghetti with Red Peppers
A wonderfully creamy dish of spaghetti with green onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. A lot of creaminess and comfort without the use of any calorie-laden heavy cream. Just some low-fat cream and milk, yet a lot of taste.
Who doesn’t love spaghetti? I really cannot think of anyone who would say no to a nice bowl of comforting spaghetti with a creamy sauce full of veggies like green onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes.
We had this only recently, but now, looking at the pictures again, I crave the green onion pasta again. It is certainly made with ingredients that I always have in the fridge, it’s really a no-fuss thing and it tastes so good, you cannot stop eating. And your children will eat all the vegetables inside without one word of protest. At least mine did!
What do you need?
- Green onions or scallions. Spring onions can be used instead (spring onions are pretty much the same thing, just that they have a thicker bulb than the green onions or the scallions have).
- Red bell peppers
- A super light pasta sauce that is really tasty and very creamy.
- You will need low-fat milk (about 1,5%) and lower-fat cream cheese (about 16%, I would not go any lower).
- Dried Italian herbs
- Olive oil
- A pinch of sugar
- Vegetable broth
- Tomato paste
- Salt, pepper and some chili powder, optional
How to make?
This green onion pasta sauce is super quick to make.
- Start by placing a large pot of water on the hob for cooking the spaghetti.
- By the time the water comes to a boil, you will be finished with preparing the vegetables as well. All you have to do is to chop the peppers into small cubes and the green onions or scallions into fine rings.
- Heat the oil in a cast-iron or nonstick pan and add the veggies. You should cook them for about 4-5 minutes until they are softer.
- When the water boils, add salt generously and the spaghetti. While they cook, finish the sauce.
- Deseed and chop the tomatoes, grate the garlic.
- Also whisk together the milk, cream cheese, vegetable broth, and tomato paste. Set aside.
- Add the sugar to the veggies in the pan and let caramelize slightly about 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, garlic, and cream cheese sauce. Add salt, pepper, and some chili to taste.
- Let simmer until the sauce thickens and the vegetables are soft.
- Mix with the drained pasta and serve immediately.
How to serve?
- The green onion pasta is best served immediately.
- If you want to reheat the leftovers, do it in a nonstick pan and add a good splash of milk to the pan. Stir well.
- I always make a green salad to serve with any kind of spaghetti or another pasta dish. Mostly with a yogurt dressing.
- You could also serve a side of steamed or roasted broccoli or a cucumber salad with vinaigrette.
More pasta with vegetables?
Pin it for later!
First published: March 7th, 2016.
Last updated: April 25th, 2020.
Green Onion Pasta (Cream Cheese Pasta Sauce)
- 1 lb spaghetti whole wheat or regular
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry Italian herbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup low-fat milk 1,5 % fat
- 4 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 4 large garlic cloves
- fine sea salt and pepper
- some pure chili powder to taste
- Cook pasta: Place a large pot of water on the hob and let it come to a boil. When the water starts to boil, add salt generously and cook the spaghetti according to the package's instructions.
- Chop: In the meantime, chop the bell peppers into small cubes and cut the green onions into thin rings.
- Saute: Heat the oil in a large cast-iron or nonstick pan and cook the peppers and the green onions for about 5 minutes until they soften.
- Chop: In the meantime, remove the seeds of the tomatoes and chop them into small cubes. Grate the garlic cloves.
- Whisk: Mix the milk, cream cheese, vegetable broth, and tomato paste in a bowl and whisk carefully until smooth. Set aside.
- Caramelize: Add the sugar to the pan with the vegetables and let caramelize slightly for about 1 minute.
- Combine: Add the tomatoes, garlic, and cream cheese sauce to the vegetables in the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste and chili powder if you wish to have a hotter dish.
- Cook: Let cook gently until the vegetables are soft and the sauce thickens.
- Serve over spaghetti with some green salad on the side.