Pasta with calamari rings in tomato sauce with peas, something so simple yet so delicious, a Mediterranean seafood pasta dish ready in no time.
Mediterranean Calamari Recipe with Spaghetti
Pasta with calamari or other seafood is something that might seem difficult to cook at home. Or at least I used to think that… Until I really actually cooked a seafood dish and noticed how easy that is.
Either this calamari spaghetti or my favorite calamari stew, both are really simple dishes, that don’t require a lot of effort or any special skills.
Ingredients needed for calamari pasta
- The only kind of calamari available around here are frozen calamari tubes.
- They are cleaned and without any tentacles.
- I always defrost the calamari tubes in the fridge overnight.
- You can also defrost the calamari by placing the tubes in a freezer bag and placing them in cold water for about 30 minutes or until defrosted.
- One can of tomatoes
- Frozen peas
- Herbs: dried rosemary and fresh parsley
- Whole wheat or regular spaghetti.
- But other sorts of pasta would be fine as well.
How to make this pasta dish?
- Defrost the calamari tubes in the refrigerator overnight. Or place them in a freezer bag, close it well, place the bag in a bowl with cold water and let defrost for about 30 minutes (or as needed).
- Clean the calamari tubes and slice them into rings, about 5 mm/ ¼ inch thick.
- Finely chop the onion, the garlic cloves, and rosemary. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet or non-stick pan and cook the onions on a medium-low flame for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic, calamari rings, chopped tomatoes, red wine vinegar, sugar, and rosemary. Add some salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the peas and continue simmering, uncovered, for another 10 minutes.
- Chop the parsley and add most of it to the pan after you turned off the heat. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime cook the spaghetti.
More Mediterranean recipes?
Pin it for later!
Pasta with Calamari
- 1 lb calamari tubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 can chopped tomatoes 14 oz/ 400 g
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 lb spaghetti
- a small bunch parsley
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Defrost the calamari tubes if frozen, wash, and pat dry. Cut into thin rings, about 5 mm/ ¼ inch wide. Set aside. Finely chop the onion, the garlic cloves, and the rosemary.
- Saute onions: Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet and cook the onions on medium-low heat for about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Simmer: Add the garlic, calamari rings, chopped tomatoes, red wine vinegar, sugar, and rosemary. Add some salt and pepper to taste, bring to a boil, and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Add the peas and continue simmering, uncovered, for another 10 minutes. Chop the parsley and add most of it to the pan after you turn off the heat. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper.
- In the meantime, cook the spaghetti.
- Serve the calamari in tomato sauce over spaghetti and sprinkled with the rest of the parsley.