Broccoli, sugar snap peas, radishes, scallions… this is spring on a plate. This salad looks so good, the colors are so vivid and happy that you can’t wait to start eating it and it tastes so good that you can’t stop eating it. But, for a change, it is not so bad if you can’t stop eating a whole plate full of it, there are only vegetables and some olive oil in it.
You can enjoy this as it is with just a slice or two of crusty bread or you can have it alongside some grilled chicken breast or even fish. If you wish you could add 1 or 2 very finely chopped hard cooked eggs and some freshly Parmesan or Pecorino on top.
- 1 head broccoli, about 500 g/ 1 lb
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz sugar snap peas
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 handful radishes
- about 6 thin scallions
- 1 handful parsley
- juice of ½ lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and white pepper
- Bring a big pan of salted water to a boil. In the meantime clean and cut the broccoli stem into bite-sized pieces and divide the broccoli head into bite-sized florets. When the water is boiling add the broccoli stem to the pot. After 2 minutes add the florets and after another 2 minutes add the sugar snap peas. Leave for another 2 minutes, drain and refresh the vegetables under cold water. Let drain very well, pat dry with paper towels and place in a big bowl.
- Deseed and finely chop the tomatoes. Chop the radishes very finely as well and cut the scallions into very thin slices. Add to the bowl together with chopped parsley and mix gently.
- Mix the lemon juice and olive oil with salt and white pepper to taste and pour over the salad. Adjust the taste to your liking with more salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- If you wish add some finely chopped hard cooked eggs or/and some Parmesan or Pecorino on top.