A spicy Mexican bean salad or salsa with black beans, corn, chickpeas and lots of herbs, a perfect side dish for any summer barbecue.
Summer is finally here, a bit late this year, but I guess better late than never. We were stewing in the garden yesterday with no energy to cook, move or do anything.
However, no matter how warm, one still gets hungry eventually and what better thing to do when the temperatures are so high than put a piece of meat on the grill and have a salad?
A delicious afternoon lunch with turkey kebabs and Mexican bean salad. Or this Avocado Corn Salad. Ready in half an hour tops! And so light and healthy, I actually felt thinner just by looking at my plate. 🙂
MEXICAN BEAN SALAD
A colorful black bean salad with corn and chickpeas, flavored the Mexican way and full of herbs, this salad can be served as a healthy and delicious side dish for any kind of meats, it can be served as a salsa or it makes a wonderful vegan/ vegetarian light meal on its own.
I’ve been making one version or another of this Mexican bean salad for years now. It is fast and delicious and it can be made with ingredients I always have in my cupboard.
The only thing I might not have now and then are the limes, but I am not particular there… I always have lemons and if limes are missing, I use the lemons.
Although limes are a better fit, together with the fresh coriander, ground coriander, cumin and jalapeňos, they give the bean salad that Mexican flavor I am usually looking for.
Other advantages in making the Mexican bean salad:
- ready in about 15 minutes
- it can be made ahead and it requires no reheating
- it can be made with things you probably have in your cupboard
- it is cheap
- it is versatile, you can use various sorts of beans, you can add tomatoes or avocado
- it keeps very well in the fridge for several day
- it is filling yet super healthy
INGREDIENTS FOR THE MEXICAN BEAN SALAD
- I used a can of black beans, a can of corn and a can of chickpeas and had enough salad to generously feed 4 people and still have some leftovers.
- I have made this Mexican bean salad with kidney beans as well. Or a can of corn and large can of mixed beans, in which case I left out the chickpeas.
- I used jarred jalapeňos, as fresh jalapeňos are not often available in Germany, and when they are, they are super expensive… But I like the ones from the jar, so I always have a jar in the fridge. But, by all means, if available, do use fresh jalapeňos instead.
- Lots and lots of fresh herbs, that’s the best thing about this Mexican bean salad. It is a joy to make this salad now, when my herb patch is literally overflowing with fresh herbs. I used a huge mixed bunch of fresh coriander, parsley, oregano, savory and hyssop.
- However, if so many different herbs are not available, use plenty of fresh coriander and maybe some parsley and oregano, if you have them.
- As mentioned above, limes are a better fit than lemons for this Mexican bean salad, but if you don’t have them, you can definitely use lemon instead. The flavor will be different, but still delicious.
- Use an organic lime or lemon, if possible, and make sure you wash and dry it well before using, as you will need some of the zest as well.
- I used garlic, lime zest, ground coriander and cumin and some red chili flakes to spice the Mexican bean salad. I was very generous with the spices (including the salt) and I loved the strongly flavored bean salad.
HOW TO MAKE BLACK BEAN SALAD WITH CORN
Making this Mexican bean salad could not be easier.
- Drain and rinse the beans, corn and chickpeas. Give to a bowl.
- Add the chopped onions, grated garlic, lime zest, finely chopped herbs and jalapeňos.
- Add the dressing ingredients: olive oil, lime juice, white wine vinegar, ground cumin and coriander, chili flakes, fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Stir well and adjust the taste with more lime juice and zest, vinegar and salt, if needed.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Variations of the Mexican bean salad:
- You can add one ripe chopped avocado and/or flavorful ripe tomatoes.
- You can use other kinds of beans instead. Try kidney beans, white beans or a mixture of beans.
- You can leave out the chickpeas and use more beans instead.
- I sometimes add 1 teaspoon za’atar to the bean salad.
- Za’atar is a Middle Eastern spice mixture including sumac, thyme, sesame seeds and salt. If you don’t have it, but would like to have those flavors in the salad, add some thyme and sesame seeds. The tangy flavor of sumac is already there, due to the lime or lemon juice you are using to make the dressing.
Mexican Bean Salad with Corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can corn
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 red onion
- 1 large of bunch herbs See note 1
- 1 tablespoon jalapeňos from a jar See note 2
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime preferably organic
- ½ – 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red chili flakes to taste
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Drain and rinse the black beans, corn and chickpeas, give them to a bowl.
- Finely chop the red onion, herbs, and jalapeňos, grate the garlic. Add them to the beans.
- Zest the lime and give about ½ of the zest to the bowl. Juice the lime.
- Add the olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice, ½ tablespoon white wine vinegar, ground cumin and coriander, red chili flakes, salt, and pepper to the Mexican bean salad. Stir well.
- Adjust the taste, adding more lime juice and zest, vinegar, and salt as required.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.
- The herbs should include lots of fresh coriander, some parsley, and maybe fresh oregano, if available. Other herbs you may include are savory, hyssop and thyme.
- You can use fresh or jarred jalapeňos. Adjust the quantity according to taste.