A comforting vegan soup with macaroni, Puy lentils, scallions and lots of fresh herbs like chives, marjoran or oregano.
This is a little vegan macaroni, lentil and vegetable soup that I am making quite often, mostly whenever I have no other idea what else to cook or don’t have the time to go shopping for ingredients, I normally have all the required ingredients at home.
It is quick, it is healthy and it is delicious. I find it perfect for the weather we have right now. It is not a winter soup but a soup to make you warm on cold spring or summer days.
The herbs make it a perfect spring/summer soup as well. The herbs in my garden are growing wild at the moment and I love picking handfuls of them and throwing them into this soup. I normally make the soup with tomatoes and scallions, but you can change that according to your taste or whatever you have in the house. Bell peppers, broccoli or kale, for instance, are great as well.
The pasta you can use is also a matter of choice. I find whole wheat, larger varieties that have a bit more of a bite to be perfect here, but you can use whatever you like. However, if you don’t eat the whole soup immediately after cooking, you will have to add more stock when you warm it up again, as the pasta will draw a lot of the liquid while it stands.
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz black lentils (Puy)
- 1.5 liter/ 6.5 cups good vegetable stock
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 bunch scallions
- small bunch fresh marjoram or oregano
- 150 g -200 g/ 5.3 – 7 oz whole wheat elbow macaroni
- white pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 bunch chives
- Chop the onion and the garlic cloves very finely. Heat the oil in soup pan and cook the onions and garlic for a few minutes, until translucent. Add the lentils and stir for 1-2 minutes until the lentils are covered with a thin film of oil. Add the vegetable stock, bring everything to a boil, and cook until the lentils are almost done, observing the instructions on the packet of lentils (mine needed about 30 minutes).
- In the meantime, chop the tomatoes in small pieces and the scallions in small rings. Wash and finely chop the marjoram and the chives. Keep the herbs separated.
- When the lentils are almost done add the tomatoes, scallions, marjoram, pasta, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon vinegar to the soup and cook until the pasta is al dente. Add the chives and adjust the taste with more vinegar, salt and pepper if necessary. Serve immediately.