Turmeric chicken legs with a garlic honey glaze, a simple chicken leg recipe with only 5 ingredients.
HONEY TURMERIC CHICKEN
The turmeric chicken with honey garlic glaze is the second recipe in this Turmeric Series, I really hope you will find something you like during the next two weeks.
Like I’ve told you in my last post – Turmeric Paste for Golden Milk, turmeric is such an amazing spice, “the spice of life” like the people of India call it, something I am striving to include in our diet as much as I can.
I’ve discovered the recipe for the honey turmeric chicken only about 3 months ago, but I think I must have made it 6 times ever since. My children, especially my daughter, love chicken legs.
TURMERIC CHICKEN WITH HONEY GLAZE
Sometimes at the beginning of the year I told my kids that each of them can wish me to cook something that they especially like every other week, one week Bruno and the next week Perla. Bruno is being quite creative when wishing me to cook something he likes, but Perla’s first choice is always chicken.
So I cook lots and lots of chicken legs, mostly baked, that is the way they both like them best, but I try to be creative with the seasoning at least, because it would definitely get boring to serve exactly the same thing over and over again.
INGREDIENTS FOR TURMERIC CHICKEN
I have been using this turmeric honey glaze very often lately.
Not only it tastes absolutely delicious and looks totally appealing due to that wonderful bright turmeric yellow, but it is also soooo easy and quick to make. And it is cheap on top of everything.
To make the turmeric chicken, you will only need 5 ingredients: chicken legs (thighs and/or drumsticks) + turmeric powder + honey + garlic + soy sauce. Not counting the salt and the one teaspoon oil for greasing the baking tray.
- I use whole chicken legs, which I divide at the joint. You can do that as well, or you can use chicken thighs and/or chicken drumsticks instead.
How to divide chicken legs at the joint?
- Hold the chicken thigh with one hand and the chicken leg with the other hand. Bend the chicken leg until the joint dislocates.
- Cut through the dislocated joint with a sharp knife or use kitchen shears. Remove the excess fat and skin from the chicken parts.
HOW TO MAKE HONEY TURMERIC CHICKEN?
- Grate the garlic. Mix with honey, soy sauce, turmeric and salt.
How to roast the turmeric chicken?
- Place the honey turmeric chicken thighs and legs on a baking tray lined with foil or baking paper, which have been slightly greased with oil.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Make sure to check that the chicken is perfectly cooked through, pink chicken is not safe to eat.
How to check if the chicken is done?
There are several ways of checking if the chicken is cooked through.
Check the internal temperature:
This is the best way of seeing if the chicken is cooked through. Use a meat thermometer, insert it in the thickest part of the thigh. The safe internal temperature for chicken is of 74 degrees Celsius/ 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Insert a skewer in the thickest part of the chicken thigh, the juices should run clear.
Make a small cut on the underside of the chicken, near the bone. The meat around the bone should be white and not pink or bloody.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TURMERIC CHICKEN?
Other serving suggestions, which go well with any kind of roasted chicken:
Plain rice + Zucchini with Pesto
PIT IT FOR LATER!
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 390 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Divide the chicken legs at the joint, so that you have 6 thighs and 6 drumsticks. Place them in a shallow and large dish.
- In a small bowl combine the rest of the ingredients. Pour the mixture over the chicken and rub the chicken well.
- Line a large baking tray with foil or baking parchment. Lightly brush the foil with a little oil. Place the chicken parts on it and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- To check the doneness, insert a toothpick in the thickest part of the thigh, the juices that run out should be completely clear, absolutely no pink.
- Make sure to check after 30 minutes baking time. If the juices are still pink, prolong the baking time and check after every 5 minutes or so.
You can divide whole chicken legs at the joint, or use 4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 1/2 chicken parts
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 739 Total Fat: 40g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 27g Cholesterol: 423mg Sodium: 1441mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 13g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 80g
MORE ROASTED CHICKEN?