These tender baked sweet potato slices make a perfect side dish for the holiday table or a delicious, healthy snack. Just one main ingredient and three simple steps.
These baked sweet potato slices or sweet potato rounds are just amazing! A delicious and super healthy side dish to go with almost anything, a great addition to your Christmas or Thanksgiving table.
And they are so easy to make. Cut them thickly, mix them with oil and spices, and bake them. Five minutes of prep time and thirty minutes in the oven. That's it!
- Sweet potatoes: They have red skin and orange flesh. Don’t confuse them with yams. Yams have brown, bark-like skin and pale flesh.
- Choose a large piece; the slices will be larger and nicer. Otherwise, 2 small to medium ones are also fine, but the rounds will be smaller. My sweet potato weighed about 1 lb/ 450 g.
- Other simple ingredients: A little olive oil and spices.
How to spice sweet potatoes?
For today’s roasted sweet potato recipe, I use the spice mixture I often use for making The Best Roasted Pumpkin Recipe (Spicy Wedges). If it works for pumpkin, I thought it should also work for roasted sweet potatoes. And, of course, it does.
- Mix in a small bowl: 1 grated garlic clove + ½ teaspoon ground cumin + ½ teaspoon ground coriander + ¼ – ½ teaspoon chili flakes (to taste) + ¼ teaspoon turmeric + fine sea salt and ground black pepper.
Other spice mixture ideas:
Coat the sliced sweet potatoes with olive oil before adding the spices. Choose any of the following spice mixtures:
- ¼ teaspoon hot smoked paprika powder + ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder + ½ teaspoon garlic powder + salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme + ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary + 1 grated garlic clove + salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin + ½ teaspoon ground coriander + pinch of nutmeg + red chili flakes or chili powder to taste + salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons clear honey + 1 small, grated garlic clove + 2 teaspoons soy sauce + salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of ground cloves + pinch of cinnamon + 1 tablespoon of brown sugar + a little bit of salt
- pinch of allspice + 2 teaspoons brown sugar + a little salt
How to bake sweet potato slices?
- Prepare: Peel, wash, dry, and slice it into even, thick rounds with a sharp knife.
- Season: Place them on a large sheet pan and coat them with oil, garlic, and spices (1).
- Bake the rounds in the hot oven. Check after about 30 minutes by poking the baked sweet potato rounds with a fork. They should be soft, slightly caramelized, and slightly browned at the edges (2).
- Use your hands to rub them with the spices and oil; all the pieces must be evenly coated.
- For perfect roasted sweet potatoes, ensure they are evenly sliced so they all cook in the same amount of time.
- The exact cooking time depends on the thickness of the slices, but 30 minutes should do it. Make sure to check that they are soft; if not, allow them a few more minutes, then check again.
- Use a second baking sheet to make a large batch or double the recipe. The pieces should not be crowded or overlapping.
A serving (130 -150 g/ 1 small) has about 115 calories, 0.1 fat, 4 g of fiber, and 2 g of protein.
They contain Vitamin A, which helps maintain eye health and is essential for immune function, and Vitamin C, which protects the cells from damage. They have anti-inflammatory properties and are a good source of potassium.
Sure, coat the pieces with one tablespoon of melted coconut oil or melted butter and toss them with one tablespoon of brown sugar, a good pinch of cinnamon, and each a small pinch of cloves (or allspice) and salt.
Roast the slices in the preheated air fryer at 350°F/ 180°C for 12-15 minutes or until tender. Or try the Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries.
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Enjoy at room temperature or reheated.
Reheat in the oven at 350°F/ 180°C for 5-10 minutes or until hot.
Microwave in 15-second intervals until hot.
The baked sweet potato slices don’t freeze well.
How to serve?
The recipe serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main meal with sauteed vegetables or salad.
- Side dish: Serve with meat, poultry, or fish. Try them with Cast-Iron Pork Tenderloin, Roast Chicken for Christmas, Slow Cooker Turkey Legs (with Gravy), Slow-Roasted Turkey Breast, Boneless Skinless Turkey Breast, or Salmon.
- Main course: Serve with a vegetable side dish with Caramelized Brussels Sprouts, Stewed Cabbage, or Roasted Leeks.
- Serve with a dip like the Easy Yogurt Mint Sauce, Spicy Peri Peri Dip, or Hot Peri Peri Sauce.
What to do with leftovers?
- Stuff a small pita bread with potatoes, roasted or fresh veggies, and hummus. Add tahini sauce, chili sauce, or any other sauce you like.
- Fill a tortilla with cream cheese, leftover slices, fresh sprouts, or veggies. Add feta or freshly grated cheese.
- Make a salad similar to this Roast Pumpkin Salad and replace the pumpkin with the leftover baked potato slices.
More sweet potato recipes
Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- Baking sheet
- 1 large sweet potato about1 lb/ 450 g, Note 1
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red chili flakes to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/ 200°C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Peel, wash, and dry the sweet potato. Slice it into ½ inch/ 1 cm thick slices. Place the pieces on the prepared baking sheet somewhere in the middle.
- Season: Pour the olive oil on top. Add the grated garlic clove and all the spices. Rub the slices with your hands to make sure that there are all coated with spices and oil. Arrange them on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake them for about 30 minutes. Check by poking the sweet potatoes with a fork. They should be soft, slightly caramelized, and slightly browned at the edges. If they are not perfectly soft, allow 5 more minutes and check again.
- 1 large or 2 small to medium sweet potatoes.
- The recipe serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main meal with sauteed vegetables or salad.