Just the sweet potatoes, a little oil, and some spices. That is all you need to make these soft, aromatic, slightly caramelized baked sweet potato slices.
ROASTED SWEET POTATOES
These baked sweet potato slices are just amazing! A delicious and super healthy side dish to go with just about anything.
Or a light main meal with some sauteed veggies and some hummus on the side. Trust me, you will not need anything else!
And they are so easy to make. Cut them thickly, mix them with oil and spices and bake for about 30 minutes. That’s it! So much more convenient than baking whole sweet potatoes.
I absolutely adore the so-called jacket sweet potatoes, but they do need quite some time in the oven, more time than I am willing to wait on a busy weeknight. The larger the sweet potato (and I am greedy), the longer.
That is not the case with the sweet potato slices. Five minutes of prep time and thirty minutes in the oven. That’s it!
And in the meantime, you can saute some veggies or pan-fry some fish fillet or chicken breast to go with them. A very healthy, filling, quick and rather cheap meal. Only advantages.
Are sweet potatoes healthy?
And because I am mentioning healthy. A serving of sweet potatoes, which is about 130 -150 g/ 4.6 – 5.3 oz/ 1 small sweet potato has about 115 calories, 0.1 fat, 4 g of fiber, 2 g of protein.
They contain Vitamin A, which helps maintain eye health and is important for immune function and Vitamin C, which protects the cells from damage.
Sweet potatoes have anti-inflammatory properties and are a good source of potassium.
So, let’s eat more sweet potatoes! I could have them 3 times a week, actually…
HOW TO SPICE SWEET POTATOES?
To make today’s recipe, I use the spice mixture I often use for spicy roasted pumpkin wedges. I thought, if it works for pumpkin, it should definitely work for sweet potatoes. And of course it does.
In a small bowl mix together:
- 1 grated garlic clove + ½ teaspoon ground cumin + ½ teaspoon ground coriander + ¼ – ½ teaspoon chili flakes (to taste) + ¼ teaspoon turmeric + fine sea salt and ground black pepper.
- Don’t forget the olive oil, pour it directly over the sweet potatoes.
Other spice mixture ideas:
Pour the olive oil over the sweet potatoes before adding the spices.
- ¼ teaspoon hot smoked paprika powder + ½ teaspoon sweet paprika powder + 1 grated garlic clove + salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme + ¼ teaspoon dried rosemary + 1 grated garlic clove + salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin + ½ teaspoon ground coriander + pinch of nutmeg + red chili flakes to taste + salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons clear honey + 1 small grated garlic clove + 2 teaspoons soy sauce + salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of ground cloves + pinch of cinnamon + 2 teaspoons brown sugar + a little salt
- pinch of allspice + 2 teaspoons brown sugar + a little salt
HOW TO BAKE SWEET POTATO SLICES?
- Choose a large potato, the slices will be larger and nicer. My potato weighed about 450 g/ 1 lb.
- Peel, wash and dry the potato with kitchen paper.
- Slice thickly. The slices should be approximately 1 cm/ 0.4 inches thick.
- Place the slices in a roasting tin.
- Add the oil, grated garlic, and all the spices.
- The most important part: use your hands to rub the sweet potato slices with the spices and oil, all the slices have to be evenly coated.
- Arrange them in the tin in a single layer and bake in the preheated oven.
- Check after about 30 minutes by poking the sweet potatoes with a fork. They should be really soft, slightly caramelized and slightly browned at the edges.
- Serve immediately.
The recipe serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main meal with sauteed vegetables or salad.
What to do with leftovers?
You will probably not have any, but just in case.
- How about stuffing some pita bread with sweet potato slices, some hummus, some veggies, and some chili sauce or another sauce you like? So good!
- Or fill a tortilla with cream cheese, sweet potatoes, sprouts or veggies. Add some feta or grated cheese, if you like.
- Or make a salad similar to this roasted pumpkin salad and replace the pumpkin with the leftover baked potato slices.
MORE DELICIOUS SWEET POTATO DISHES?
SWEET POTATO BROWNIES – These sweet potato brownies are some of the best brownies I have ever tasted. Moist, comforting and incredibly delicious, this is the most decadent way of eating sweet potatoes!
PAN FRIED SWEET POTATOES – Simple fried sweet potato recipe, a vegan sweet potato side dish recipe to accompany almost any dinner you can think of.
VEGAN SWEET POTATO SOUP – A simple vegan sweet potato soup with coconut milk, ginger, and chili.
SWEET POTATO GRATIN – A very easy to make sweet potato gratin with Parmesan and lots of spices, a comforting side dish or light main meal for any time of the year.
PUFF PASTRY SWEET POTATO PIE – Delicious puff pastry pie with roasted sweet potatoes, caramelized balsamic onions, and cheese.
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- 1 large sweet potato about 450-500 g/ 1 – 1.1 lb
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin (Note 2)
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red chili flakes to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice sweet potatoes: Peel, wash, and dry the sweet potato. Slice it in 1 cm/ 0.4 inch thick slices. Place the slices in a roasting tin.
- Rub with seasoning: Pour the olive oil on top. Add the grated garlic clove and all the spices. Rub the slices with your hands to make sure that there are all coated with spices and oil.
- Bake: Arrange in the tin in a single layer and bake in the preheated oven. Check after 30 minutes by poking the sweet potatoes with a fork. They should be really soft, slightly caramelized, and slightly browned at the edges. If they are not perfectly soft, allow them 5 more minutes and check again.
- The recipe serves 4 as a side dish or 2 as a main meal with sauteed vegetables or salad.
- See blog post for more seasoning ideas.