Sweet chili dip for potato wedges. Crispy baked potatoes, a simple dip, and salad: this is one of our favorite quick meals.
Sweet Chili Dip for Potato Wedges
These potato wedges with sweet chili dip were yesterday's dinner, and I found it so delicious that I have to post it today already. Sometimes the simplest things are the best.
Just potatoes, spices, and a nice dipping sauce, maybe a green salad on the side, and you don't need anything more. I loved it; the kids loved it; my husband, too. There was not one complaint, nothing to say except: “Mmm, is that good!”
How to serve?
- I found the recipe for the sweet chili sauce here. It was great for us adults, but of course, too spicy for the children.
- They had mayonnaise and ketchup instead. I made my sauce using 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes, but they were really hot. You could use more or less to suit your taste.
- The salad to accompany this was also simple: torn lettuce leaves, onions, and a light dressing made with a little olive oil, some lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- And if you don't need the mayonnaise (and you won't if you like spicy things), then this dish is vegan as well.
- You could also serve this delicious dip for potatoes with cornmeal potatoes.
More potato recipes
Sweet Chili Dip and Potato Wedges
- 4-6 baking potatoes depending on size, a total of about 1 kg/ 2 lbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves grated
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sweet chili sauce:
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons red chili flakes
- 1 ½ teaspoon cornstarch
- ⅛ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil potatoes: Clean the potatoes very thoroughly, cut them into wedges, 6 to 8 edges pro potato depending on size. Place the potatoes in a large pot with cold water, bring everything to a boil and let the potatoes cook for 10 minutes. They should be soft but shouldn't begin to disintegrate. Drain the potatoes and pat dry with kitchen paper. Place the potatoes in a roasting pan.
- Spices: Mix the olive oil, grated garlic, ground coriander, smoked and sweet paprika until you obtain a paste. Add 1 more tablespoon of oil if you feel it is necessary to get the right pasty consistency. Pour this over the potatoes and rub them all over with your hands.
- Roast: Place the tin in the oven for about 25 minutes or until the potatoes are crisp, golden brown, and cooked through.
Sweet Chili Sauce:
- Combine ¼ water with the rice vinegar, sugar, grated garlic clove, and chili flakes in a small saucepan. Bring everything to a boil and let simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Combine the rest ⅛ cup water with the cornstarch and whisk the mixture into the boiling sauce stirring continuously for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and let the sauce cool down before serving.
- Serve the potatoes and sweet chili sauce with a salad on the side.