A basic recipe for making baked chicken drumsticks, marinated with paprika or curry powder.
From all the easy baked chicken recipes I make on a regular basis, recipes like the Baked Chicken Thighs or the Turmeric Chicken Legs With a Honey Garlic Glaze, this Baked Chicken Drumsticks must be the easiest.
This chicken recipe is not only easy and very quick to make, but also versatile, you can change the flavors according to your mood or according to whatever you happen to have in your spice cabinet.
I have been making these Baked Chicken Drumsticks for years now and the recipe (if you can call this a recipe) really never disappoints. When it comes to baked chicken it hardly gets any easier.
Baked Chicken Drumsticks – Basic Chicken Recipe
How to season the chicken drumsticks or chicken legs?
As mentioned above there are lots of possibilities when it comes to seasoning the chicken parts. For this blog post I chose my two most common ways of seasoning chicken drumsticks, one version with paprika and one version with curry powder.
Most of the times I simply season the chicken with a mixture of salt, pepper and paprika stirred with a little oil. I grew up eating chicken flavored this way, my grandmother never used any other spices. Salt and pepper, sweet paprika powder and stock cubes were the only spices she ever used. Besides, some fresh herbs like parsley, dill and lovage, some dried herbs like savory or pickled herbs like tarragon.
I prefer to use sunflower oil (like my grandma used to do), but you could definitely use olive oil instead.
To spice the chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs or even whole chicken legs, pat the chicken parts dry. In a large bowl, mix together the oil and the spices, add the chicken and turn it in the spice mixture until well coated. Massage the spices into the chicken as well.
Place the chicken drumsticks, thighs or legs on a baking sheet lined with baking paper and bake in the preheated oven.
The quantities indicated below are enough to coat 6 to 8 drumsticks, 4-6 chicken thighs or 4 whole chicken legs.
Spice mixtures for seasoning chicken drumsticks:
- So, for the most basic way of spicing these Baked Chicken Drumsticks take 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + 1 teaspoon curry powder (whichever mixture you like)
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + ½ teaspoon ground cumin + ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + ½ teaspoon garlic powder + ½ teaspoon smoked or hot paprika
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + 1 teaspoon chili powder or 1-2 teaspoons sriracha or hot chili sauce, to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + ½ teaspoon turmeric powder + 1 grated garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + 2 teaspoons clear honey + 1 grated garlic clove + 1 tablespoon medium mustard
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + 1-2 teaspoons dried herbs of your choice + 1 grated garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + 1 tablespoon soy sauce + 2 teaspoons clear honey + ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil + ½ teaspoon salt + ¼ teaspoon pepper + 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice + zest of 1 lemon + 1 teaspoon clear honey + a good pinch of dried herbs
These are just a few ideas for seasoning your Baked Chicken Drumsticks, chicken thighs or chicken legs. As you can see the sky is the limit, play with the spices and see what combinations you like best.
How long to bake chicken drumsticks?
Usually about 35 minutes at 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit should be enough. But make sure to check the chicken before you take it out of the oven, the times might differ depending on the size of the chicken drumsticks and on your oven, not all ovens heat the same way.
Start checking after 30 minutes baking time. You can use a meat thermometer ThermoPro TP03A Digital Food Cooking Thermometer Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Kitchen BBQ Grill Smoker, in this case the internal temperature of the chicken drumsticks should be of 75 degrees Celsius/ 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Or you can check the doneness of the chicken by inserting a skewer or toothpick in the thickest part of the drumstick. The juices should run clear, no pink juices are allowed when it comes to chicken.
What to serve with Baked Chicken Drumsticks?
The last time we ate these wonderful Baked Chicken Drumsticks (last Saturday), we had them with dinner rolls and Sauteed Asparagus with Garlic. But most of the times we eat these chicken drumsticks with potato wedges and chili dip , crispy baked cornmeal potatoes or different potato salads, sometimes this Swabian potato salad.
And I always make a vegetable side dish or two, either a simple white cabbage salad, a tomato and onion salad or a plain green salad with yogurt dressing . Or some roasted broccoli or cauliflower or roasted carrots with olive oil.
Baked Chicken Drumsticks – Basic Chicken RecipePrint This
- 12 chicken drumsticks, divided
- 4 tablespoons oil (sunflower oil or olive oil), divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Give 2 tablespoons oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper and 1 teaspoon sweet paprika powder to a large bowl.
Pat the chicken drumsticks dry with kitchen towels, there is no need to wash the chicken before. Add 6 drumsticks to the spice mixture, turn to coat well and massage the seasoning into the chicken. Place the chicken drumsticks on the prepared baking tray.
Give the remaining oil, salt and pepper to the same bowl (no need to clean it before). Add the curry powder and remaining 6 chicken drumsticks, turn to coat with the seasoning and massage the chicken well with the mixture. Place these drumsticks on the tray as well.
Bake for about 30 to 40 minutes, checking after 30 minutes already. You can use a meat thermometer ThermoPro TP03A Digital Food Cooking Thermometer Instant Read Meat Thermometer for Kitchen BBQ Grill Smoker, in this case the internal temperature of the chicken should be of 75 degrees Celsius/ 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Or you can check the doneness of the chicken by inserting a skewer or toothpick in the thickest part of the drumstick. The juices should run clear, no pink juices are allowed when it comes to chicken.
Serve immediately with some of the suggested side dishes.
This post might contain affiliate links. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you make a purchase we will receive a commission which helps support the blog.