Perfectly oven roasted chicken thighs, a basic recipe for baking chicken thighs in the oven.
OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS
I think you would agree with me that chicken thighs or drumsticks or chicken in general is something that most children like. Soft, tender meat, not much fat, crispy skin when everything goes well, some potatoes and veggies on the side and my children couldn’t be happier.
Me too, actually, I love chicken as well (probably the main reason why I could never go vegetarian, although we don’t eat a lot of meat generally).
Chicken is comfort food for me, something that reminds me of long gone school days, when my grandmother would still work full-time.
I used to come home from school at about midday, I would open the door and smell the wonderful chicken my grandmother had cooked for me before she had left for work. I only had to heat it up a bit (although I ate it lukewarm or cold quite often) and ate it with bread and sliced tomatoes most of the time. There was no better after school meal for me during those times…
And it is pretty much the same with my own kids. Thank God, they don’t have to let themselves in and spend the whole day home alone, but they love eating chicken for lunch just as much as I did a long time ago.
The only difference now is that I’d rather bake the chicken thighs instead of frying them. I need less oil for baking and the mess is less. But here is a recipe for chicken thighs in the pan, which I imagine to be exactly like the one my grandmother used to cook.
INGREDIENTS FOR OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN THIGHS
This is a very basic, simple recipe for making oven roasted chicken thighs. Just the chicken thighs, sweet paprika powder, salt and pepper.
Of course, you can go from here. You can add more spices to taste, you can add some potatoes or vegetables, your decision. Like in this other recipe for baked chicken thighs with vegetables.
I sometimes use dry herbs or different sorts of curry, sometimes I use smoked paprika, cumin or coriander. Experiment and you will find your favorite seasoning soon enough.
But for making simple and delicious oven baked chicken thighs you are fine with just a few ingredients.
You can use either chicken thighs or a mixture of chicken thighs and drumsticks. As only chicken thighs or only chicken drumsticks are not always to be found in German supermarkets, I usually buy whole chicken legs which I divide at the joint.
Another plus of buying the whole chicken legs is that they are cheaper this way, they cost less than when you buy the chicken thighs and the chicken drumsticks separately. So, I mostly buy them whole and either use both parts for a dish or freeze either the thighs or the drumsticks to cook them at a later moment.
HOW TO DIVIDE CHICKEN LEGS AT THE JOINT?
- Take the chicken thigh in one hand. Hold onto the chicken drumstick with the other hand. Bend the chicken leg against the joint so that it dislocates.
- Use a good large knife and make sure to find the right spot where to cut. If you get it right, going through the joint will be very easy. If you encounter resistance, then you are not at the right spot. Move the knife a few millimeters more to the right or to the left and try again.
- Remove the excess fat and the excess skin from the inner side of the chicken thigh with a sharp knife.
- If you wish, you can also remove the back part still attached to the thigh. You will need a strong good knife to do that.
- Don’t discard the back parts. Freeze them and use them to make chicken stock.
HOW TO BAKE CHICKEN THIGHS IN THE OVEN?
This is my basic way of baking chicken thighs, very simple, quick and totally fool-proof. The resulting thighs are absolutely delicious, you will love every bite of them.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with baking paper or aluminum foil.
- Place the chicken thighs in a large bowl, pour the oil over them and massage the chicken with your hands until everything is coated in oil.
- Place the chicken on the baking tray skin-side down at first.
- Generously sprinkle the underside with salt, pepper and paprika (or use other spices to your liking). Turn the chicken pieces skin-side up and generously sprinkle the skin with the spices as well.
- Bake for one hour or until the juices run clear and the skin is golden brown and crispy.
HOW TO SERVE OVEN BAKED CHICKEN THIGHS?
Serve the oven roasted chicken thighs with potato wedges and any kind of vegetables or salad you like.
I love to make a nice tomato salad with lots of onions and parsley/basil in it. Or our favorite green salad with yogurt dressing. Cabbage salad, either simple or cabbage salad with sour cream are great as well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Serving Size: 2 thighs
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 618 Total Fat: 43g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 31g Cholesterol: 333mg Sodium: 982mg Carbohydrates: 1g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 0g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 61g