Tender oven roasted chicken and vegetables like garlic, peppers and carrots, a simple and delicious chicken recipe.
A particularly flavorful dish of roasted chicken and vegetables, healthy and very easy to make, a Romanian style chicken dish with lots of garlic, something my grandmother used to make on a regular basis.
The last recipe in the grandmother recipes or favorite childhood recipes on Where Is My Spoon. I really could not say which one I like best.
They are all winners for me, the food I grew up with, the food that brings back memories, the food I always turn to when I am tired of kitchen experiments and need something solid, uncomplicated and always satisfying.
OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
This roasted chicken and vegetable dish was another one of my grandmother’s signature dishes, I used to call it sticky chicken, because somehow she managed to make this chicken really sticky. I am sorry to say that I have never managed that with this particular chicken, I have no idea what I am doing wrong…
My version of grandma’s chicken is absolutely delicious and I could eat all the time, but still is not entirely the way I used to know it. Maybe someday I will manage to get that stickiness into this chicken dish as well, if I do, I will let you know.
My suspicion is that I just don’t use as much oil as my grandmother did, she was always extremely generous with it.
Normally, I can get away with it, most dishes taste just as good with only 1 or 2 tablespoons oil and not a quarter bottle like my grandma used to pour into each dish.
But maybe not this roasted chicken and vegetables recipe, I definitely think she used to cook it in quite an equal amount of broth and oil, which I just cannot bring myself to do…
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED CHICKEN AND POTATOES
The recipe for roasted chicken and potatoes is very simple and uses only cheap and easy to find ingredients and spices.
- Dividing the chicken legs at the joint is not particularly difficult. Use a good large knife and make sure to find the right spot between the thigh and the drumstick where to have to cut. If you get it right, going through the joint will be very easy.
- If you encounter resistance, then you are not at the right spot. Move the knife a few millimeters more to the right or to the left and try again. Here is a video about dividing chicken legs at the joint.
- Remove the skin of the chicken. The chicken will cook in liquid and that always makes the skin soft, I definitely don’t like it that way.
- Chop the carrots and cook them together with the chicken pieces in a little water for about 3 minutes. Remove from the pan, but keep the cooking liquid.
- Give the chicken, carrots, sliced peppers, onions, garlic and bay leaves to a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together two soup ladels full of cooking liquid, the savory, stock powder, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken and vegetables, adding the oil as well.
- Roast the chicken and vegetables for 1 hour and 30 minutes in the preheated oven or until the chicken is very tender and cooked throug. Turn the chicken parts after about 30 minutes. Baste the chicken with the cooking juice a few times in between.
HOW TO SERVE THE ROASTED CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES
The perfect side dish are mashed potatoes. But you could also have the roasted chicken with vegetables with white bread.
You can easily reheat the leftovers.
Use the remaining poaching liquid to add to a soup or stew.
Other delicious roasted chicken recipes:
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Serving Size: 1/6 of the dish
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 539 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 22g Cholesterol: 282mg Sodium: 699mg Carbohydrates: 13g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Protein: 54g