Herbed chicken with strawberries, an aromatic savory strawberry recipe to enjoy this spring.
Juicy, herbed chicken breast served with an aromatic and easy-to-make strawberry sauce or chutney.
I think this is the first time I've cooked a savory strawberry sauce. I've made salads with strawberries, but never went beyond that, actually.
And I have to tell you that this chicken and strawberry combination is delicious. The chicken breast is aromatic and tender, and the sweet and spicy strawberry chutney fits it perfectly. Just cook some rice and you're done.
Cooking this complete meal will not take more than 30 minutes. Well, the marinating time not included, but if you don't have the time to marinate the chicken with strawberries for 2 hours, 30 minutes would do as well.
- A parsley, garlic and olive oil mixture.
- To make it all you have to do is to place the ingredients in a small food processor and blend until smooth.
- I often use the garlic-parsley paste to marinate the chicken. I love it and use it all the time, either for marinating chicken, steaks or fish but also to spice up soups, stews or whatever.
- You can also marinate the chicken with pesto mixed with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil to thin it slightly.
Savory strawberry sauce
- This chicken with strawberries recipe is well suited for a batch of strawberries that you are not entirely happy with, meaning strawberries that are not quite as ripe and sweet as they can be.
- The sugar needed to make the caramel for the sauce will help with the sweetness issues and the short cooking time will improve their consistency.
- The sauce will only need about 3 to 5 minutes to thicken, don't cook it longer, the strawberries should retain their shape and not become mushy.
More berry sauces?
Strawberry Sauce for Pancakes - Puffy, German cast-iron pancakes served with a deliciously aromatic warm strawberry sauce.
Homemade Blueberry Sauce - Our favorite homemade blueberry sauce, easily canned and delicious on top of pancakes, crepes, waffles, milk rice, ice cream or whatever kind of dessert.
Blackberry Chicken- Tender skewers served with an aromatic blackberry sauce.
Turkey Breast in Blueberry Sauce - Turkey breast in a sweet and sour blueberry-balsamic sauce.
Cherry Sauce - With fresh, canned or frozen cherries.
Pin it for later!
Chicken with Strawberries (Savory Strawberry Recipe)
- 4 portions of chicken breasts boneless and skinless, about 125 g/ 4.4 oz each
- small bunch of fresh parsley about 4 heaped tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 small red onion
- 14 oz strawberries 400 g
- 1 heaped teaspoon granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5 tablespoons vegetable broth from a cube is fine
- 1-2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar to taste
- small bunch fresh oregano
- fine sea salt and plenty freshly ground black pepper
- Marinade: Chop the parsley, thin stems included, and place it in a small food processor. Add the roughly chopped garlic and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Blend until smooth.
- Marinate chicken: Place the chicken breasts in a shallow dish and rub them well with the parsley garlic marinade. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for about 2 hours. (A minimum of 30 minutes would help as well.)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Rice: Start cooking the rice if serving the dish with rice.
- Bake: Place the chicken breasts in an oven dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the juices run clear. Make sure it is cooked through, but don't overcook it.
- Chop: In the meantime, chop the onion very finely, clean and halve the strawberries. Chop the fresh oregano.
- Saute: Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a saucepan. Cook the onion until glossy, add the sugar, and let caramelize slightly. Add the strawberries and the cardamom and stir carefully.
- Cook: Add the vegetable broth and let the liquid thicken slightly for about 3 to 5 minutes; the strawberries should become softer but still hold their shape and not become mushy.
- Adjust the taste with the balsamic vinegar, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle with the chopped oregano and serve immediately with the chicken and the rice.