Last Updated on 23/05/2020 by Adina
Blackberry chicken – tender marinated chicken breast pieces on skewers served with an aromatic blackberry sauce. The sauce can also be served with pork.
Blackberry Sauce for Chicken
This blackberry chicken makes the perfect summer dish. Grilled chicken skewers cooked in less than 10 minutes, you can do that on the grill outside or in a grill pan inside. Served with a savory blackberry sauce for meat, made with fresh or frozen berries and cooked in just a few minutes as well.
A healthy, light, aromatic dish that your entire family will enjoy. And an extra bonus: you can prepare everything in advance and just grill the chicken when ready to eat.
I never used to make skewers, I had a bad experience with some vegetable-tofu skewers once, where the veggies were still uncooked and the tofu tasted bland, and that kind of put me off any kind of skewers for many years.
But then, last Christmas, I decided to make some turkey skewers as part of our Turkish inspired Christmas Eve dinner (I know, not very traditional, but we get enough tradition at my mother-in-law’s Christmas lunch) and we all, especially my daughter, liked them a lot.
Ever since I keep making skewers of any kind. Not only the turkey skewers, but lots of chicken or pork skewers as well.
How to make?
- You can use chicken breast or boneless skinless chicken thighs, I’ve tried both versions over the years and they are both great.
- Alternatively, you can use lean pieces of pork for the skewers, they are delicious when served with this blackberry sauce as well.
- The blackberry sauce for chicken is very simple and makes the most of the blackberries, which you can actually pick pretty much everywhere around here.
- The sauce can be made with fresh blackberries or with frozen ones, it will not matter much.
- Fresh blackberries are always nice to have, but they are rather pricey if you don’t happen to have a bush around your house and they are not always available.
- So, frozen blackberries are a very convenient choice.
Otherwise, you will need:
- Blackberry jelly – to add sweetness to the sauce.
- Spices: garlic, sweet paprika, apple vinegar, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and some mint for the garnish (optional).
How to make the skewers?
- Slice the meat into thin, long strips.
- Mix the oil and all the spices in a bowl.
- Add meat strips and mix well.
- Cover and marinate for about 30 minutes and up to 2-3 hours.
- Drain and reserve the marinade.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Skewer the chicken.
- Grill on the lightly greased, hot grill or grill pan for about 6-8 minutes, until the meat is cooked through.
- I love this recipe because, unlike many other bbq sauces it contains hardly any sugar, actually only the sugar contained in the 2 tablespoons blackberry jelly and that is not that much.
- It also uses the marinade leftover from marinating the meat and that is great as you are not wasting anything.
- Place the leftover marinade in a small pan.
- Add the blackberries and simmer until they are soft, just a few minutes. Pass through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
- Return the berries to the pot and whisk in the vinegar and jelly.
- Stir well and bring to a gentle boil.
- Simmer until the sauce is slightly thickened, it will only take a few minutes. Stir very often.
- Adjust the taste with salt, pepper, and maybe a few more drops of apple cider vinegar.
Serve the blackberry chicken with rice and green salad, for instance.
More blackberry recipes?
- Chicken skewers:
- 500 g/ 1.1 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breast (See note)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet paprika
- 2 small garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon apple vinegar
- some fine sea salt and pepper
- Blackberry sauce:
- 200 g/ 7 oz/ about 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blackberries
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons blackberry jelly
- a small pinch of nutmeg
- some mint for garnish
- Slice the chicken breast into thin, long strips. Mix 1 tablespoon olive oil with the sweet paprika, grated garlic, apple vinegar, and some salt and pepper in a bowl. Place the chicken strips in the bowl and mix well with the marinade. Cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes for up to 2-3 hours.
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water for about 15-20 minutes. Drain and reserve the marinade. Skewer the chicken on 8 skewers.
- Heat the grill, brush it with the remaining olive oil and cook the chicken for about 6-8 minutes, turning from time to time, until golden and cooked through. The cooking time depends on the thickness of the meat strips.
- Place the marinade in a small saucepan. Add the blackberries and simmer until they are soft. Pass through a fine-mesh sieve to remove the seeds.
- Return the puree to the pan and whisk in the apple vinegar and the jelly. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered until reduced by about one-third. It will not take long, so keep an eye on it, and don't forget to stir.
- Add a small pinch of nutmeg. Adjust the taste, if necessary, with a drop or two of apple vinegar. Garnish with some chopped mint and serve immediately with rice and a green salad, for instance.
You can also use pieces of skinless boneless chicken thighs.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 skewer with sauce
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 156Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 122mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 20g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.