Last Updated on
A beautiful loaf cake recipe: moist and delicious rhubarb loaf cake with blackberries, cinnamon and brown sugar.
RHUBARB LOAF CAKE WITH BLACKBERRIES
Deliciously moist and sweet rhubarb bread or rhubarb loaf cake with blackberries.
The rhubarb loaf cake with blackberries was part of a post for the Secret Recipe Club, which no longer exists. The source of the recipe is Cook with Sara. This is a repost from April 2016.
And it was the most successful Secret Recipe Club recipe for my family. A rhubarb loaf cake I did not only bake once, but countless times during the last 3 years.
Everybody just loves it: the rhubarb loaf cake with blackberries is moist and sweet, yet has enough tanginess from the rhubarb and the blackberries to make it a real pleasure.
I can assure you, you will looooove this rhubarb bread or cake. I made it for my birthday breakfast, when I invited some of my closest female friends, we were 8 of us and each one loved this cake.
Not to mention my kiddies, they ate lots the day I’ve made the cake and polished off all the rests the next day, complaining that the two loaves were not enough.
BLACKBERRY LOAF CAKE WITH RHUBARB
Although the weather is really bad and cold considering that it is almost the end of May the rhubarb in my neighbor’s garden is thriving. She has 2 HUUUUUGE rhubarb bushes and that is probably the reason I don’t have my own rhubarb bush in the garden, my friend has enough for the whole neighborhood…
I go picking rhubarb every spring, I am probably the one using up the most of her rhubarb, but then again, I don’t know anyone around here who is so obsessed with cooking and baking and always trying new recipes as I am…
So, just in case you also have a nice friend with a huge rhubarb bush in the garden, here are some more rhubarb ideas:
Homemade Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, which everybody will love.
Rhubarb Butter, a deliciously tangy rhubarb butter, which will give you the chance to use lots of rhubarb, if your garden is full of it.
Rhubarb Crisp with Apples and Crunchy Oatmeal Topping, a quick and satisfying rhubarb dessert recipe.
The Best Rhubarb Meringue Pie ever ever ever!!!
And for a savory twist:
A surprisingly delicious Rhubarb and Tomato Soup with Bacon Omelet.
Chicken with Rhubarb Sauce, one of my favorite rhubarb savory dishes.
HOW TO PICK AND CLEAN RHUBARB?
The rhubarb season begins in April (depending on where you live) and ends in June. During this time, rhubarb is readily available at the market or in most supermarkets, but, if you really like it and happen to have a garden, I do recommend planting some yourself.
Growing rhubarb is not difficult, provided you live in the proper climatic area. Just plant it and wait for it to grow. And it will grow a lot, it might even get a bit too much in a few years.
How to clean rhubarb?
- First of all, discard the leaves, they are poisonous!
- According to Wikipedia, “rhubarb leaves contain poisonous substances, including oxalic acid, which is present in many plants. Humans have been poisoned after ingesting the leaves, a particular problem during World War I when the leaves were mistakenly recommended as a food source in Britain”.
- Remove the lower end of the stalk as well, it is thicker than the rest, whitish and slimy. That, of course, if you pick the rhubarb in your or somebody’s garden, supermarket rhubarb is already trimmed.
- Wash the stalks, but don’t remove the red peel. I used to do that for years, because my mother-in-law had told me so, I thought it would be rough and remain so even after cooking.
- But don’t worry about it, it is not rough and after the rhubarb is cooked or baked, you will not notice any peel anymore.
- To make this rhubarb loaf cake, you will need a rather small amount of rhubarb, about 100 g/ 3.5 oz or 1 cup sliced rhubarb. If the rhubarb stalks are thin, you will only have to slice them thinly. If the rhubarb stalk is very thick, cut it lengthwise before thinly slicing it crosswise.
HOW TO MAKE RHUBARB BREAD WITH BLACKBERRIES?
This rhubarb loaf cake or rhubarb bread is super easy to make, actually you will just have to mix the ingredients and bake.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare your pans. I used two loaf pans of about 23×12 cm/ 9×5 inch. Use a similar size, a couple of centimeters more or less are OK. Grease the loaf pans with butter.
- Wash the rhubarb, you don’t have to peel it. Discard the leaves as they are poisonous. If the rhubarb stalk is very thick, cut it lengthwise before thinly slicing it crosswise. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat the brown sugar, oil and egg until nicely blended.
- Add the buttermilk, yogurt and vanilla extract and mix again.
- In another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually and slowly give this mixture to the sugar mixture in the other bowl.
- If your blackberries are very large, halve them. Fold the blackberries and the rhubarb slices into the batter.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared loaf pans.
- Melt the butter in a small pan. Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon and the sugar, you will obtain some kind of sugar lumps. Dollop the lumps evenly over the batter in the pans and bake for 50 minutes. Make the toothpick test, it should come out with only a few crumbs hanging to it.
- Let the rhubarb bread cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Rhubarb loaf cake:
- 270 g/ 9.5 oz/ 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 60 ml/ 2 oz/ ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 120 ml/ 4 oz/ ½ cup buttermilk
- 170 g/ 6 oz/ 2/3 cup creamy yogurt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 300 g/ 10.6 oz/ 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ 1 cup sliced rhubarb
- 170 g/ 6 oz/ 1 2/3 cup blackberries
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ ½ cup granulated sugar
- Rhubarb loaf cake:
Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius/ 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter two loaf pans, about 23x12 cm/ 9x5 inch.
Wash the rhubarb, you don't have to peel it. Discard the leaves as they are poisonous. If the rhubarb stalk is very thick, cut it lengthwise before thinly slicing it crosswise. Set aside.
Place the brown sugar, the oil and the egg in a large bowl and beat until blended. Add the buttermilk, yogurt and vanilla extract and blend again.
In another bowl mix together the flour, baking soda and salt. Gradually add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture.
Halve the blackberries if they are large and fold into the batter together with the sliced rhubarb.
Divide the mixture between the two loaf pans.
Melt the butter in a small pan. Remove from the heat and stir in the cinnamon and the sugar, you will obtain some kind of sugar lumps. Dollop the lumps evenly over the batter in the pans and bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf cake comes out with only a few crumbs hanging to it.
Let the rhubarb loaf cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 20 Serving Size: 1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 3g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.