Easy ground beef and mushroom Stroganoff made from scratch. Only a few inexpensive ingredients like ground beef, mushrooms, and noodles, and you will have a perfect family dinner ready.
Ground beef and mushroom Stroganoff is one of those family meals, you can be sure you can please anyone with. Ground beef, noodles, and a creamy sauce, who would say no to that?
I have been making different kinds of beef stroganoff recipes for years now. From the more expensive calf stroganoff (only once) to chicken or pork, classic beef stroganoff with thinly cut beef strips, and this very easy ground beef stroganoff.
Jump to recipe
Ground beef: I use lean ground beef.
Mushrooms: definitely fresh mushrooms, either cremini or white mushrooms. If you use button mushrooms, you can leave them whole or only halve them; they will look very pretty in the dish.
- I use Smetana or Schmand. If you can find a Russian or Eastern European store, do try smetana, it is delicious. Otherwise, regular sour cream can be easily substituted.
- I use only a small amount of smetana or sour cream, less than I saw in other recipes. I like it this way, I think it adds exactly the amount of smoothness to the dish without making it too heavy.
- The sour cream or smetana can be added at the end of the cooking process or directly at the table, with a small dollop on each plate.
- I use homemade stock, beef, or chicken, mostly chicken. I almost always have chicken stock in the fridge or freezer.
- However, using homemade chicken or beef stock is not mandatory; a good quality brand or even bouillon cubes will do just fine.
How to make ground beef and mushrooms?
- Step 1: Slice and cook the mushrooms. I used cremini mushrooms this time, but white mushrooms can be used instead. Cook the mushrooms for about 5 minutes until nicely golden. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Step 2: Cook the ground beef, onions, and garlic until the onions start to get golden. Make sure to break all the ground meat lumps during this step.
- Step 3: Add the tomato paste, flour, and water mixture (which is necessary to thicken the sauce), stock, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Step 4: Simmer for one hour on low heat. Many recipes instruct you to cook the ground beef stroganoff for a much shorter time, but I think this dish gains in flavor from being slowly cooked for a longer time.
- Step 5: Add the sour cream and stir well; don't let the dish come to a boil anymore.
You can make the sauce 1-2 days in advance and keep it refrigerated until ready to serve.
Cook the pasta just before serving.
Store the beef and mushroom sauce and the pasta in separate containers in the fridge.
You can reheat the pasta in the sauce if you like.
Freeze leftover sauce in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.
What else to serve it with?
Ground Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff
- 9 oz cremini or white mushrooms 250 g
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lb lean ground beef 500 g
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup water 175 ml
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock 250 ml
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 heaped tablespoons sour cream or smetana
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Mushrooms: Clean and slice the mushrooms. Heat the oil or butter in a large pan (which has a lid) and fry the mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.9 oz cremini or white mushrooms/ 250 g + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or unsalted butter
- Brown ground beef: In the meantime, finely chop the onions and the garlic. Place them in the same pan together with the ground beef, and cook for about 4-5 minutes until the meat is brown and the onions slightly golden. Break the lumps of meat using a wooden spoon during this time.1 medium onion + 1 garlic clove + 1 lb lean ground beef/ 500 g
- Add ingredients: Whisk together the flour and the water. Add the mixture to the pan together with the chicken or beef stock, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Mix well.2 tablespoons all-purpose flour + ¾ cup water/ 175 ml + 1 cup beef or chicken stock/ 250 ml + 2 tablespoons tomato paste + 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce +1 teaspoon fine sea salt + freshly ground black pepper
- Simmer Stroganoff: Turn the heat down to low, cover the pan, and simmer for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- Add the mushrooms to the sauce. Continue simmering for 10 more minutes without the lid; the sauce should thicken slightly.
- Stir in the sour cream or smetana. Don't let the dish come to a boil again.2 heaped tablespoons sour cream or smetana
- Serve: Sprinkle some chopped parsley over the ground beef stroganoff and serve with noodles, rice, or mashed potatoes.