Last Updated on 20/10/2020 by Adina
Cheesy bacon Brussels sprout casserole with Parmesan and cream cheese, an easy to make side dish or light meal for the holiday season.
If you think you are not that much into Brussels sprouts, you should give these cheesy bacon Brussels sprouts a try, I think you might change your mind about these veggies, this is a really entry-level recipe for them. Or this Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts.
- Fresh or frozen.
- If using fresh you will need about 750 g/ 1.7 oz. Once you’ve cleaned them, there will be more or less 650 g/ 1.3 oz left.
- Use about 600-650 g/ 1.2-1.3 oz frozen sprouts, if you like.
- Frozen sprouts don’t need to be defrosted. Add them to the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Cream cheese and Parmesan.
- I tried several kinds of cheese and found Parmesan to be the best, but Gouda was also delicious.
- The first time I cooked this dish, I made it with cooked ham and it was good.
- However, replacing the ham with bacon made the dish even better, the saltiness and heartiness it gives to the dish cannot be matched by the use of cooked ham.
The most important tip when cooking Brussels sprouts is to take care not to overcook the sprouts. I think that is the main reason why so many people do not enjoy eating these veggies.
Make sure you only slightly pre-cook the sprouts before assembling the casserole, they will continue to cook in the oven.
And another bonus: if you happen to have not too soft, leftover sprouts from Thanksgiving dinner, they would be perfect to make these cheesy bacon Brussels sprout casserole.
Make in advance
- Prepare the vegetables and place them in the casserole dish.
- Make the sauce and cover it with plastic foil directly over the surface, so that it doesn’t form a skin. Let cool and refrigerate until ready to assemble the dish.
- Give the sauce a good stir, if it has thickened too much, add a splash of milk to make it runnier.
- Pour over the vegetables in the baking dish and bake for about 20 minutes or until bubbly and golden. Serve immediately.
Some more cheesy casseroles?
- 750 g/ 1.7 lb Brussels sprouts (cleaned weight about 600-650 g/ 1.3-1.4 lb) (Note)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion
- 50 g/ 1.8 oz lean bacon cubes
- 175 ml/ 6 fl.oz/ ¾ cups heavy/double cream
- 2 garlic cloves
- 100 g/ 3.5 oz/ ½ cup cream cheese
- 50 g/ 1.8 oz/ 1/3 cup Parmesan
- fresh herbs like savory or thyme
- fine sea salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius/ 430 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter a small casserole dish. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In the meantime clean the sprouts, if necessary. Remove their outer leaves and the thickest, lower part of the stem. If the sprouts are very large, halve them. If I use frozen sprouts, I don't bother to defrost them, I add them to the water in their frozen status.
- When the water starts to boil, add some salt, and then the cleaned Brussels sprouts. Cook for about 4-5 minutes and already check the consistency of the sprouts, they should still be rather firm, they will continue cooking in the oven and they should not get too mushy.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the finely chopped onion and the bacon cubes and cook until the onion is translucent.
- Add the heavy cream and the grated garlic cloves and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the cream cheese, freshly grated Parmesan, finely chopped herbs, and some gratings of fresh nutmeg. Adjust the taste with salt and pepper. Stir well. If you find the sauce to be too thick, you could stir in a small amount of milk.
- Drain the Brussels sprouts and place them into the baking dish. Pour the sauce over the sprouts and bake for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling.
- Serve hot with a green salad and boiled potatoes.
I had fresh Brussels sprouts, about 750 g/ 27 oz, once cleaned there were about 600-650 g (1.3-1.4 oz) left.
You could use frozen sprouts as well, about 600-650 g (1.3-1.4 oz) for 2-3 people as a main dish with potatoes and salad.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1/3 of the dish
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 589Total Fat: 48gSaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 141mgSodium: 976mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 8gProtein: 20g
Nutritional information is not always accurate.