Pasta, tender chicken pieces and feta cheese… this has the potential to become a family favorite. It can be made quickly on a busy weekday evening, with ingredients one usually has at home.
I always have some chicken breast in the freezer, pasta is a staple in every household and I cannot even remember the last time when I didn’t have feta and spring onions in the fridge. If you don’t have spring onions at home, you can replace them with leeks or just use a lot more chives (they freeze well, so you might happen to have that in the freezer).
This is also a nice dish to eat on a hot summer day, it is refreshing and light. I found it best served immediately, the cheese is slightly melted and gives a velvety touch to the noodles but I didn’t mind the cold leftovers either. I think they make a very nice work lunch the next day, the dish will become a pasta salad when served cold. You might want to add an extra tablespoon of olive oil to the noodles and adjust the taste again if you eat them cold. Some extra halved cherry tomatoes will be a good addition to the cold noodles as well.
- 500 g/ about 1 lbs fusilli or similar pasta shapes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 450 g/ 1 lbs chicken breast
- 5 spring onions
- 200 g/ 7 oz feta cheese
- 1 small bunch chives
- salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook the pasta according to the package's instructions. Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile cut the chicken breast and the cheese into small cubes and the spring onions into rings. Chop the chives finely.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Fry the chicken cubes all around until golden. Add the spring onions and continue cooking for about 2 minutes. Check if the chicken is cooked through. Add the cheese and about half of the chives. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the chicken and cheese with the pasta, adjust the taste and sprinkle with the rest of the chives.