Feta stuffed peppers with lots of fresh herbs, a light Mediterranean dish, easy to make and full of flavor.
Feta Cheese Stuffed Peppers
I love to stuff vegetables of any kind and this feta stuffed peppers make no exception. No kidding, I could and eat some kind of stuffed veggies every other week or so and never get tired. The possibilities are endless.
What kind of peppers do you need?
- There are several sorts of peppers you can use to make this recipe.
- They should be sweet pointed peppers, the exact sort will not matter that much.
- What they all have in common is the mild, sweet taste, the elongated shape, and the fact that the flesh is thinner than in the case of bell pepper.
- You can use either green or red peppers.
Some sorts you could look for are:
- Banana peppers: yellow, medium-sized sort of pepper with a mild, tangy taste.
- Cubanelle: a sweet pepper sort, yellow when unripe and red when allowed to ripen.
- Italian frying pepper: similar to the cubanelle pepper, but thinner and longer. In this case, try to get some that are not extremely thin as they would be more difficult to fill.
- Roasting pimientos: long and red.
- Use feta cheese from a block of cheese, not the already crumbled stuff, that will ruin the dish.
- You can choose either sheep’s or cow’s feta, I’ve tried both sorts over the years and they are both great. Use the sort you like best.
- You will need smaller amounts of cream cheese and milk as well. As much as to make the feta mixture nice and creamy.
- Fresh herbs are great if in season. I tend to cook these feta stuffed peppers in spring and summer when I have lots of herbs in the garden.
- But don’t stress about that, frozen parsley is a great option as well.
- The thyme and the oregano can also be replaced with dried herbs as well, about 1 teaspoon of each.
- Other herbs you could use are fresh or frozen dill, ysop, or a mixture of frozen Italian herbs.
How to make?
This is a super easy recipe:
- Top the peppers and remove the seeds.
- Crumble the feta and mix it with cream cheese, milk, olive oil, garlic and chopped herbs.
- Stuff the peppers and place them in the baking dish.
- Place the tomatoes in between the peppers and bake.
How to serve?
- Serve with fresh white bread, ciabatta or French baguette as a light main meal with a green salad on the side.
More stuffed peppers?
Feta Stuffed Peppers
- 6 peppers about 500 g/ 1 lb (Note)
- 7 oz feta 200 g
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- some milk
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 6 small tomatoes
- fine sea salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare peppers: Top the peppers and remove the seeds. Cut the peppers from top to bottom only on one side.
- Filling: Crush the feta with a fork, add the cream cheese and enough milk to form a creamy paste. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, grated garlic, chopped herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the peppers with the paste and place them in a lightly oiled casserole dish.
- Prepare tomatoes: Remove the core of the tomatoes and score them lightly crosswise on the opposite side. Place them between the peppers and sprinkle them lightly with salt.
- Bake: Pour the remaining tablespoon olive oil over the vegetables and bake for about 40 minutes.