Zucchini, zucchini, zucchini… quite a lot of them lately. Here is a delicious and very healthy way of getting rid of some of them. Grilled zucchini slices, a wonderful, aromatic turkey-tomato sauce and low-fat cream cheese, it is really good, you have to try it this summer.
You will not even miss the noodles, the light crunchiness and heartiness of the zucchini and the full flavor of the sauce make a completely satisfying meal. Of course, if you like you can serve some bread with it, there is a lot of sauce you can mop with it. 🙂
- 1 kg/ 2.2 lbs zucchini
- olive oil
- 450 g/ 1 lbs ground turkey
- 1 large onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- paprika powder
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes (400 g/ 14 oz each)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 200 g/7 oz low fat cream cheese
- 100 ml/ a bit less than ½ cup milk
- 150 g/ 5.3 oz grated cheese (Gouda, cheddar)
- salt and pepper
- Cut the zucchini lengthways into rather thin slices. Brush the slices with olive oil and grill on both sides until softer and nicely charred. Transfer the cooked slices onto kitchen paper to help absorb the oil. Sprinkle the zucchini with salt and pepper.
- Chop the onion finely and cook it in 1 tablespoon olive oil until soft. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute while stirring. Add the ground turkey and fry, stirring from time to time and breaking the lumps, until nicely browned. Add salt, pepper, paprika powder and the tomato paste, stir thoroughly and let cook for 1 or 2 minutes. Pour the tomato cans into the pan, add the oregano and thyme and let the sauce cook for about 10 minutes on low heat. Adjust the taste again and add the chopped parsley.
- In the meantime preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius/ 390 degrees Fahrenheit. Grate the cheese. Mix together the milk and the cream cheese until smooth. Add salt, pepper and some nutmeg to taste. Add 50 g/ 1.8 oz of the grated cheese to this mixture.
- Brush a casserole form lightly with olive oil. Cover the bottom of the pan with zucchini slices. Continue with a few tablespoons of the tomato-meat sauce, then a few tablespoons of the cream cheese mixture, then some zucchini slices again. Repeat until all ingredients are gone, ending with a tomato-meat sauce layer. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and cook for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with green salad and some bread.